Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Gettysburg town
Lens: Various Camera: K20D Photo Location: Gettysburg PA 
Posted By: SpecialK, 10-18-2010, 07:29 PM

Gettysburg had a population of under 2,500 during the Civil War. About 10 different roads converge there.

A mural on the side of a grocery store, as I remember.

Future US President Eisenhower lived here in 1918 when he commanded nearby Camp Colt.

Center of town is this traffic circle. It used to be the location of the first courthouse for Adams County from 1804-1859. The land was given by James Gettys.

The James Gettys hotel.

This brick house was owned by David Wills, a local attorney, who was instrumental in obtaining the land to be used for the Soldiers' National cemetery. President Lincoln stayed here the night before delivering his Gettysburg address at the dedication of the cemetery.

Old Lincoln directs a new visitor holding the Gettysburg address toward the house.

The Gettysburg Hotel.

Historic train station where Lincoln arrived the night before to give his speech.

Across the street is the Lincoln Diner, which has a huge Lumberjack breakfast for cheap.

Just watch out for the wall.

During the first day of the battle which spilled into town, 15-year old Tillie Pierce and other kids left this house for a safer location south of town.

She ended up at this farm that became Union Gen Meade's headquarters near the center of the battle on day two.

She relocated to another farm a bit to the south, which became endangered during the attack on the nearby Round Tops. She wrote a book about her adventure, later in life, one of the few from the civilian viewpoint.

The street.

Antiques, apples, and art.

Adams County National Bank, and their clock.

I stopped in for a raspberry shake.

Roadwork at the traffic circle.

You can never be too safe...

Southern Gen Lee's headquarters just outside of town.

Had one 20-minute afternoon thunderstorm that I waited out in the car.

Thanks for looking.

Last edited by SpecialK; 03-18-2011 at 04:39 PM.
Views: 4,551
10-19-2010, 12:51 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Nice shots, I like the "Ye Olde" feeling about the style of architecture.
10-19-2010, 06:46 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Nice series. Gettysburg is less than 3 hours north of where I live and I have been to the battlefield on a number of occassions, but have only been in town proper once, and that was over 30 years ago! Guess I should really go back. I enjoyed your shots.
10-19-2010, 09:14 AM   #4

Photos: Albums
Being such a small town it seems that everything that existed in 1863 is a historical site. It is sort of strange being in the towns near Civil War battlefields.....the conservative historic buildings and sites (what I expect) mixed with new comercial often tacky tourist traps (what I like to avoid). Gettysburg seemed the strangest mix to me. Definitely an extremely interesting town. These shots show the nicer side of it all.

10-19-2010, 06:06 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Thanks for the comments.

I missed so much of it...never went in any of the house museums, the battlefield museum (except to buy a ticket for the Eisenhower farm tour), or shops, other than the malt shop and a restaurant. There is a big mural on a dead-end street, and...other stuff.