Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
My Best Hawk Shot...OOPS
Lens: Sears 80-200 Camera: K-x Photo Location: Louisiana ISO: 200 
Posted By: Paleo Pete, 10-19-2010, 07:01 AM

yeah right....

Hawks are known for being camera shy. Soon as I get even halfway close, they always bail. This one was no different, and as usual I tried to get a couple of in-flight shots. The very first one came out great, my best focus on a hawk yet, great lighting, fast enough shutter speed to stop the wings and some depth of field... Unfortunately it was also just at the perfect moment to get the telephone pole in the way...I never knew it until I looked a the pictures later.

Click image to view larger size.

Feel free to add your favorite OOPS shot, I'm not the least bit concerned about this thread getting hijacked...
Views: 2,158
10-19-2010, 07:21 AM   #2
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Isn't it infuriating when these shots happen, Pete.
I got one too. Danged thing flew right up in my face and I didn't have time to pan much of him/her.

10-19-2010, 08:12 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Yet another reason to use mobile (wireless) phones
10-20-2010, 03:35 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
That would have been a nice pelican shot if you had been able to get there in time.

I'm waiting for pelicans to get here this fall, 2 nice places to shoot them, I hope I get a few decent shots. Tried last year, the Samsung P&S just wouldn't do the trick. If we don't get some more rain soon I can forget about my favorite spot for ducks...got 3/4 inch last night, still nothing but a large puddle where a lake should be. Way too dry here, and I saw geese 2 days ago, it's time.

I've gotten plenty shots where birds fly behind trees and such, but this one really irked me...stupid telephone pole...

10-20-2010, 04:04 PM   #5
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Hope your lake fills up Pete.

Pelicans are plentiful here all year around. For this shot I was focused on an island where they gather for breeding, and didn't see this one til he was in my face almost. I have other shots where they are flying close to the water and the whole shot I got was posted in a thread before. This would have been a great shot, but I knew the minute I hit the shutter it was too late to capture the whole bird.
10-22-2010, 04:30 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
That sucks...I missed a blue heron today, got a shot as it landed on a tree limb, no time at all and it was so bad out of focus it was horrible...and it turned around and flew the other way soon as it saw me moving...all I could do is wave bye bye...5 shots all way out of focus.
10-23-2010, 08:17 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Well, those are pieces of good shots . I can relate to an extent. At a different venue--high school football--I managed to get the receiver just as he crossed the line for a touchdown...

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-x  Photo 
10-23-2010, 08:18 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Actually, that doesn't sound like a bad idea for a sub-forum --> "Oops" ... gotta do something with those photos :P
10-23-2010, 08:32 PM   #9
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Actually, Mike, there is one already similar to this. It's called Post your "it's just so wrong" photos.

Link here