Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Mad Scientist
Lens: Tamron 17-50 Camera: Pentax K7 Photo Location: North Adams, MA ISO: 100 Shutter Speed: 1/150s Aperture: F4.5 
Posted By: khardur, 10-19-2010, 09:53 PM

Was showing at a local Open Studios event. I had a double-wide booth - one with my landscapes and shots from around the city, but I also had a second booth with a portrait demonstration setup, with a halloween theme.

They varied in how they came out, mostly because some people weren't that into it. This guy was, this was one of the best shots of the weekend:

Views: 2,718
10-19-2010, 10:07 PM   #2
Forum Member

Nice shot!

I love how you kept the natural and ambient light in the shot.
10-20-2010, 10:29 AM   #3
Inactive Account

Cool shot!
10-20-2010, 04:03 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by CasualPhil Quote
Nice shot!

I love how you kept the natural and ambient light in the shot.
No ambient light in the shot at all... it was too dark in the warehouse where the artists were set up. It's all flashes. Green gelled flash in the bowl, red flash hanging off my tripod in front, light blue flashes on the left and right behind subject to define shoulders and hair, and a dark blue gelled flash for background.

10-20-2010, 06:28 PM   #5
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by khardur Quote
No ambient light in the shot at all... it was too dark in the warehouse where the artists were set up. It's all flashes. Green gelled flash in the bowl, red flash hanging off my tripod in front, light blue flashes on the left and right behind subject to define shoulders and hair, and a dark blue gelled flash for background.
Sheesh- Now I feel like a genius photographer..goes to show what I know about lighting!

Well done, sir.
10-20-2010, 07:13 PM   #6
Millionth Poster!
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
super shot
10-20-2010, 08:32 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by CasualPhil Quote
Sheesh- Now I feel like a genius photographer..goes to show what I know about lighting!

Well done, sir.
didn't mean to make you feel that way. This is by far the most complicated I have ever gone to light up a photo.

I had an idea of what I wanted to do, but this was definitely the most successful I've ever been at it actually working out.

10-20-2010, 08:48 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Very cool shot and nice use of strobes. Just curious, since it was so dark, how helpful was the K7's assist beam? Or did you use some other method?
10-20-2010, 11:35 PM   #9
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by khardur Quote
didn't mean to make you feel that way. This is by far the most complicated I have ever gone to light up a photo.

I had an idea of what I wanted to do, but this was definitely the most successful I've ever been at it actually working out.
Oh, sorry I didn't mean it like that. I am new to the using artificial lighting and what not. Really, take it as a compliment- lighting is supposed to appear natural! Yours was so good...that I couldn't tell you used any artificial light at all.

By well done- I meant- well done on the photo.
10-21-2010, 03:59 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by wshi Quote
Very cool shot and nice use of strobes. Just curious, since it was so dark, how helpful was the K7's assist beam? Or did you use some other method?
Well dark is relative - at f/4.5 to get a good exposure without the strobes was 1/2 second, so much too slow for people to hold still in the picture, but it was bright enough to see/walk around/for the AF to work (for the most part, there were a couple times I had to focus/recompose on a bright spot on someone's face, etc)

When I took a test shot without the flashes in it flashed over 99% of the screen as most of the blacks were clipping.

In my experience however the k7's focus assist beam works great, and out of the entire bunch (almost 100 pics) I really don't think I had any out of focus at all.