Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Bigma Range Showing
Posted By: daacon, 09-13-2007, 09:15 PM

Well some of you may know I recently purchased a Sigma50-500. I have not had much time to shoot anything interesting. I did manage to steal about 30 minutes today on an errand and thought I would post these. While the photo's are not spectacular it does give a good showing of the vast range this monster lens has. Hope you enjoy I know I will love this lens

Starting view 50mm 1/400 f8

Moving in 190mm 1/320 f7.1

A little closer 310mm 1/320 f6.7

Full Zoom 500mm 1/320 f6.7

Views: 1,417
09-13-2007, 09:44 PM   #2
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Dave, It really is great to have that much range all in one lens. With the added bonus of it being a sharp lens with good IQ. And it really shows off the SR. I've taken shots at 1/60th full 500mm and they have come out sharp. The Sr basically makes this a much 'faster' lens. I added a monopod to my kit and there's not too many times that this lens can't do the job now. Sure it's heavy but when you want to take only one or 2 lenses and not have a bag full or constantly switch (risking dust etc) then this is the perfect tool.
09-13-2007, 11:42 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Yes indeed I do believe you will like the Bigma Dave. Amazing how it can be as good as it is throughout the whole range. Enjoy!
09-14-2007, 04:17 AM   #4
Inactive Account

Man I want that lens! I've stood on that spot and know the distances you are showing...

Now..if I sell my first-born, pawn my 80-320 and umm.....

09-14-2007, 06:00 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Pleased to see another 50-500 lover out there
09-14-2007, 06:01 AM   #6

I need a Bigmama Do any of you know someone in need of a kidney? rp
09-14-2007, 06:40 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Peter Zack Quote
Dave, It really is great to have that much range all in one lens. With the added bonus of it being a sharp lens with good IQ. And it really shows off the SR. I've taken shots at 1/60th full 500mm and they have come out sharp. The Sr basically makes this a much 'faster' lens. I added a monopod to my kit and there's not too many times that this lens can't do the job now. Sure it's heavy but when you want to take only one or 2 lenses and not have a bag full or constantly switch (risking dust etc) then this is the perfect tool.
Yes it is indeed Peter. I did have it around my neck for the first time and this will not work haha. I may need to invest in a monpod as well. I don't find the lens too heavy but at 500mm I really need to make an effort to "stop the shake" - I feel like a alcoholic going through detox looking through the view finder at 500mm. I will just need to practice more. I did find the AF had issues at 100mm - other focal lenghts seemed fine I will have to try that again this wekeend. Thanks.

QuoteOriginally posted by LaRee Quote
Yes indeed I do believe you will like the Bigma Dave. Amazing how it can be as good as it is throughout the whole range. Enjoy!
I was impressed as well - I may have to stop down a bit , but from the post above at 500mm it was almost wide open f6.7 and it came out pretty good. Thanks.

QuoteOriginally posted by scott-devon Quote
Man I want that lens! I've stood on that spot and know the distances you are showing...

Ahh yes that is a freaking busy sidewalk I had no idea ! I was there maybe 20 minutes and had 10 or 15 bikers pass me ringing their bell - joggers , young lovers takling a walk - I should have set up a portrait sign ti help offset the cost. My first born is getting too old to sell (18) so that is out (maybe start charging rent haha). Justification' is a funny thing - as the wife was all for it god bless her soul - there may be some quid pro quo

QuoteOriginally posted by blwnhr Quote
Pleased to see another 50-500 lover out there
Thanks blwnr - you are one of the forum members responsible for this purchase from reviewing your Bigma Pics and stories. I am not sure you are offering rebates of any kind but if you are PM me , I will send you my particualrs

QuoteOriginally posted by Petthefish Quote
I need a Bigmama Do any of you know someone in need of a kidney? rp
Haha - that is a pretty steep price there Petthefish haha while the lens is great , sharp and covers a large focal length - it does not do very well as a filtration / processing station for the bodies waste Edit ** I re-read what you are looking for a Big Mama ? that is whole different animal and a completley different price range ** End Edit

Last edited by daacon; 09-14-2007 at 08:01 AM.
09-15-2007, 04:47 AM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by daacon Quote
Thanks blwnr - you are one of the forum members responsible for this purchase from reviewing your Bigma Pics and stories. I am not sure you are offering rebates of any kind but if you are PM me , I will send you my particualrs
Hahaha, you'll have to consult the g/f for compensation, lol, she controls the bank balance after my last splurge!
09-16-2007, 09:51 PM   #9

Thanks for the pictures Dave. Seeing the lens used at a location I am familiar with helps to visualize the range.

As for elling my first-born, since I don't have one to sell at the moment, can I borrow yours, Scott?
09-17-2007, 04:26 AM   #10
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by silverbullet Quote
Thanks for the pictures Dave. Seeing the lens used at a location I am familiar with helps to visualize the range.

As for elling my first-born, since I don't have one to sell at the moment, can I borrow yours, Scott?
Absolutely on the condition you make him return my truck and 5th wheel first....
09-17-2007, 09:30 AM   #11

Absolutely on the condition you make him return my truck and 5th wheel first....
Hmmm, I could sell that too!