Sunset on the Patawomeke River
Lens: FA-77mm Camera: K200D ISO: 100 Aperture: F5.6 
Posted By: cdurfor, 10-23-2010, 09:00 PM

Views: 2,686
10-23-2010, 11:06 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Love the effect in last shot- you don't expect the reflection to be blurred, and it's an interesting twist. Very nice!

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
10-23-2010, 11:29 PM   #3
Site Supporter

Nice stuff Chuck, you DO get around. Yeah, I like the warmth of that spot of sun on the last shot. Great place to have a tent, campfire and camera while somebody else catches the fish for dinner.

If Patawomeke/Patawomeck is just another word for Potomac, I REALLY have no idea where you took these shots if it was not along the Potomac.
10-24-2010, 04:36 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
Hey thanks for the comments. Yea, Patawomeck is just another old spelling of Potomac. The images were all shot near Great Falls on the Maryland side. Went looking for water birds and all I got was landscapes. Thnx again. Hope all this well.

PS the first Saturday in November will be Native American day at Jamedtown.

10-24-2010, 06:07 AM   #5
Inactive Account

Last one is stunning!
10-24-2010, 06:18 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Nice group. I'd like a bit less of that road in the lower right of the first shot.
10-24-2010, 06:44 AM   #7

Really like the second shot best, but all are good.

10-24-2010, 07:27 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Wpresto - I was thinking the same thing. The sin of a fast ENTER button that should be corrected.
10-25-2010, 08:39 AM   #9
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by cdurfor Quote
PS the first Saturday in November will be Native American day at Jamedtown.
I was unable to find any info on this event in the Jamestown event calendar. Got a link?
10-25-2010, 08:50 AM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
This is more people then critters, but I've seem some of these presentations before and the images can be quite striking. Here is the blurb from the Home -- Preservation Virginia web site:

COMMEMORATION OF AMERICAN INDIAN HERITAGE MONTH
Saturday, November 6 2010 at 10:00 AM - 4:00 PM

Historic Jamestowne commemorates National American Indian Heritage Month on Saturday, November 6 from 10:00 a.m. until 4:00 p.m. with programs focused on the cultural heritage of America’s indigenous people before contact with European explorers and settlers.

Native American Indian cultures flourished in the Western Hemisphere thousands of years before Europeans brought their culture to North America. Daniel Fire Hawk, dressed in traditional coastal Algonquian clothing, presents programs focusing on daily village life and demonstrations of basic life skills essential to the survival of Chesapeake-region Indians before the English landed at Jamestown in1607.

Visitor Center Multipurpose Room: 10:00 a.m. and 1:30 p.m.
Stone and Bone Tool Manufacturing
Stone Razor, Scraper, Drill Use
Cordage and Textiles using Natural Fibers
Pottery Manufacture

1607 James Fort Site: 11:30 a.m. and 3:00 p.m.
Archery Demonstration with the Longbow

Historic Jamestowne, an Official Preservation Virginia Historic Site, offers a wealth of activities for exploring the first permanent English settlement in North America. Visitors can learn about the Jamestown Rediscovery excavation of the original 1607 James Fort site; visit the Nathalie P. and Alan M. Voorhees Archaearium, the site's archaeology museum; tour the original 17th-century church tower and reconstructed 17th-century Jamestown Memorial Church; and take a walking tour with a Park Ranger along the scenic James River. Entrance to the site is open from 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. The Historic Jamestowne Visitor Center and Voorhees Archaearium are open from 9 a.m. until 5 p.m., and the grounds remain open until dusk.

Historic Jamestowne is jointly administered by Preservation Virginia and the National Park Service and preserves the original site of the first permanent English settlement in the New World.

This program is jointly sponsored by Preservation Virginia, the National Park Service and the Colonial Williamsburg Foundation.

Price: Admission is $10.00 for adults and includes admission to Yorktown Battlefield for seven consecutive days. Children under age 16 are free.

tpatton@preservationvirginia.org
10-25-2010, 09:46 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Nice shots. I was also curious if you meant Potomac. I told my wife the other day that I needed to shoot some at Great Falls. Been there several times, but is has been a while.
10-25-2010, 09:52 AM   #12
Veteran Member

More nice stuff Chuck. Unless I am mistaken the 2nd shot is the Fish Ladder at Great Falls and the 3rd is somewhere along the canal towpath.

Mike
10-25-2010, 11:23 AM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Correct on both accounts. No fooling you.

Another wonderful part of that part of this Park, is the Riverpath that starts just north of the Great Falls Lock Keeper's House (~ 30-50 feet) on the river side. Many wonderful water fowl and rumor has it, a Heron rookery, about ~ 1/2 way up the trail... So, waiting for spring....
10-25-2010, 05:11 PM   #14
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
nice images - I would likely have added fill light to the first.
10-25-2010, 05:55 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Love #2.