Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
First K10D photos
Posted By: tcom, 12-03-2006, 10:54 AM

Hi everyone,

I have my K10D since Friday, a great camera. It is now time to post some test photos of this weekend.

Most photos have been taken in RAW and converted with default settings of Pentax Photo lab.

DA 21mm 1/350s f/6.7 iso100

It is a strong back light shot, but I am surprised how well the details are preserved.

DA 70mm 1/350s f/6.7 iso100

DA 40mm 1/250s f/6.7 iso100

Tokina 80-400mm 1/160s f/8.0 at 330.0mm iso100

All other photos have been taken in RAW, this photo has been taken in JPG. And it is hand held, SR seems to work well!

All these photos and some more are in full resolution under K10D Photo Gallery by Dominique Schreckling at pbase.com
Views: 2,999
12-03-2006, 01:11 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
All are nice but really like the bird shot.
12-03-2006, 01:58 PM   #3

I just put my first set up too
12/2/2006 Downtown NYC with the K10D and friends - a photoset on Flickr

the bird is amazing
12-03-2006, 02:03 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Really like the bird. On the two city shots you might want to try a tip I posted on Photo tips and techniques part of this forum called Haze Buster. Just a little could really accent the architecture. I would mask out the background haze though as it works well as more hazy for interesting depth to the photo.

12-03-2006, 03:17 PM   #5
Inactive Account

Hi tcom, some very pretty and excellent photos you captured with your new camera! The bird photo is very impressive and my favorite.
12-03-2006, 05:21 PM   #6
Inactive Account

What "color space" - "RGB" or " Adobe RGB " in these photos?
12-03-2006, 07:41 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Well...

They come through without a tag; and they shift going into Photoshop (sRGB workspace) via drag and drop. I come from a dark and nasty place where I spent 4 years sharpening 'critical' skills-that's a warning about what follows.

These images are flat, color casted like sunrise or sunset light but poorly, and they lack sharpness. The bird shot is most interesting but needs 'head' space and a less centered subject. Some increase in saturation and contrast would also help.

The city scenes lack a crucial ingredient: people or evidence of same---way to sterile. The de-hazing tip is a good start. Followed again by some color adjustment. (I'm beginning to wonder about the WB setting at this point.)

The first photo is busy: busy in the foreground, busy in the background and busy in the sky. Same haze and color problems.

One thing is impressive about all three: these are minor problems and easily corrected. It seems like the camera did it's job in spite of less than ideal circumstances. There is a lot of raw material to work with--good resolution of fine details, a nice color palette and gradients (even if off), a contrast range that can be improved without causing much harm even on these web-sized images.

I realize this takes some of the shine off the new camera. Like I said I come from a dark nasty place where such things are noticed-quickly; and commented upon bluntly. I'm actually being rather tame with my selection of vocabulary and comments.

From most of what I've seen of K10d samples, probably all of us have some distance to go before we master these new cameras. You hit the ground running and got a good start. And I admire your courage in posting a diverse set of sample images.

12-04-2006, 12:11 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thank to all for your replies.

I am really surprised about the details in the bird shot.

I limited the post processing. I just converted them from RAW using the default settings of Pentax photo lab. I am certain that is much more potential in these photos by post processing a bit more, but I wanted to show what the photos are like "out of the box".

@clarenclose: the conditions were less then ideal as it was quite hazy. I will try the "haze buster" method to see how it improves.

@prizmatic: the photos have all been taken in sRGB

@jfdavis58: thanks for your tips. I wanted to post process the images as less as possible, just to show what the images are like "out of the box". I am absolutely certain that these images can be a lot improved with a little post processing as the problems seems minor and are most probably easily corrected.
12-04-2006, 03:28 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Excellent shots Dominique, and congrats on your new camera.
12-04-2006, 02:06 PM   #10
Veteran Member

I like them all! Congratulations!
12-05-2006, 05:37 PM   #11
Inactive Account

And it is possible to see photos in " space Adobe RGB "?For sRGB a lot of color there is some...
Compared photos in "sRGB"- Nikon D100 and these photos...
I the admirer of optics Pentax, but for work was necessary to buy Nikon, for that period in digital-Pentax anything "necessary" did not offer.
I photograph basically on a film, but for some situations it is necessary Digital.
On this I am interested
12-05-2006, 06:27 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Prizmatic Quote
And it is possible to see photos in " space Adobe RGB "?For sRGB a lot of color there is some...
Compared photos in "sRGB"- Nikon D100 and these photos...
I the admirer of optics Pentax, but for work was necessary to buy Nikon, for that period in digital-Pentax anything "necessary" did not offer.
I photograph basically on a film, but for some situations it is necessary Digital.
On this I am interested
Hope this helps....
for all web photos, etc, sRGB is the standard so everyone can view the same way
Adobe RGB 1998 is used mostly for printing..... If you were to post a shot with the color space Adobe RGB 1998 on the web and someone views it, the colors will shift, as sRGB compresses some of the colors in Adobe RGB 1998.

Adobe RGB 1998= more colors
sRGB is less colors, but even the oldest monitors can see all of sRGB colors, that is why it is the standard for web viewing.

clear as mud

randy
12-05-2006, 06:29 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by tcom Quote
Hi everyone,

I have my K10D since Friday, a great camera. It is now time to post some test photos of this weekend.

Most photos have been taken in RAW and converted with default settings of Pentax Photo lab.

DA 21mm 1/350s f/6.7 iso100

It is a strong back light shot, but I am surprised how well the details are preserved.

DA 70mm 1/350s f/6.7 iso100

DA 40mm 1/250s f/6.7 iso100

Tokina 80-400mm 1/160s f/8.0 at 330.0mm iso100

All other photos have been taken in RAW, this photo has been taken in JPG. And it is hand held, SR seems to work well!

All these photos and some more are in full resolution under K10D Photo Gallery by Dominique Schreckling at pbase.com
All the pics are great, but I enjoy the top one the best. the k10 really did a great job of getting that much detail out of the shadows. impressive

cheers
12-05-2006, 08:00 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Good work, and congrats on the camera!
12-06-2006, 12:19 AM   #15
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thank you all.

@slipchuck: With the strong backlight photo I just wanted to check how the camera manages the situation and am really surprised how good it is. I did not expect that it would retain so many details in the dark areas. And this is just a simple conversion from RAW, nothing else as post processing. I guess that just with a little bit of post processing the photo could be easily improved.