Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Eagle vs. ICE and DA10-17
Posted By: Ole, 09-15-2007, 10:08 AM

The first you see when you enter the exhibition hall of the DB Museum in Nuremberg (Nürnberg) is this contrast between a replica of Germany's first locomotive in regular operation, the "Eagle" (der "Adler" in German), and the latest and greatest, the ICE-3 train.

I had to grab my DA10-17 fisheye to take it all in, and corrected the distortion with the PTL-Lens software. For reference I show the original as well. The focal length was 13mm.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX *ist D  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX *ist D  Photo 

Views: 1,866
09-15-2007, 12:24 PM   #2
and
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Its interesting to see both the corrected and non corrected shots, I find I normally prefer the non corrected shot. especially if there are humans in the shot, they will get streched and look weird in the corrected shot. Also in this case I prefer the uncorrected one altho that hasnt received the extra PP that the corected shot has and its not cropped to remove the chair on the right, altho I dont really like non standard formats, especially those closer to square.

the fisheye sure is handy for these situations and they do come up. I got the 12-24 recently since that one was more important for me, but I do want to get the fisheye later on, its especially indoors when you cannot zoom with your feet because you hit a wall that this lens comes in handy.
09-15-2007, 08:49 PM   #3
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by and Quote
Its interesting to see both the corrected and non corrected shots, I find I normally prefer the non corrected shot. especially if there are humans in the shot, they will get streched and look weird in the corrected shot. Also in this case I prefer the uncorrected one altho that hasnt received the extra PP that the corected shot has and its not cropped to remove the chair on the right, altho I dont really like non standard formats, especially those closer to square.

the fisheye sure is handy for these situations and they do come up. I got the 12-24 recently since that one was more important for me, but I do want to get the fisheye later on, its especially indoors when you cannot zoom with your feet because you hit a wall that this lens comes in handy.
Nice shot either way.

I generally prefer the "fisheye" look and never correct it. I have the 12-24 as well, but the "leaning" look is sometimes more distracting than the fisheye.
09-15-2007, 11:29 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Same here Ole. I prefere the fisheye look. I love trains and to see the difference from then to now is great. Thank you for sharing.

Cheers

Eddie

09-16-2007, 03:59 PM   #5
Ole
Administrator

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
Thanks for your comments.

I tend to agree that the uncorrected image is the better of the two. Perhaps because the distortion accentuates the shape of the white train. I also agree that the chair must go in the processed version.