Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread

Persistence
Posted By: JMR, 10-26-2010, 02:58 PM

Years ago I saw an image which looked like a painting (now more commonplace) and the photographer said that he took it on one frame (film) at a slow shutter speed while the wind was blowing. I tried in vain to produce similar results, but always ended up with poor to mediocre images. I could never produce what I really wanted in the camera with any consistent results. Finally, with the onset of multiple exposure capability and the camera doing all the proper exposure calculations, I was able to produce more images with more consistent results. Yesterday, at High Park in Toronto, everything came together, autumn, gusting winds, colour and good light, and this is the result. The irony is, that this not a maple tree, but a Japanese Cherry from that now famous cherry lane hill at High Park where, justifiably hundreds come in Spring to see the breathtaking blossoms.

Edit:
Rather than start a new thread, I am posting a few more from my recent autumn outings. This time, camera movement or water movement is the basis of the image.

JMR

Last edited by JMR; 03-09-2011 at 08:09 PM.
Views: 3,883
10-31-2010, 02:50 AM   #16
wjt
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Great series, glad you finally managed to pull it off. I was just reading about this technique last night. Thank you for sharing

10-31-2010, 09:40 AM   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I am sure Claude Monet would love these
Like many others I have tried with limited success to capture this kind of shots, but your results are just phantastic. Maybe I need more persistance ...
10-31-2010, 09:41 AM   #18
Inactive Account

Love the third one! Very beautifull work!
10-31-2010, 09:47 AM   #19
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
These are akin to impressionist paintings. Great idea and implementation :-)

10-31-2010, 01:01 PM   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The third one is my favorite, but they're all wonderful impressionist photos. Well done.
11-01-2010, 07:10 AM   #21
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Stunning series. I'll add my vote to the second shot as being a real standout. Without knowing how the image was produced, it could/would pass as a painting.
11-01-2010, 07:34 AM   #22
JMR
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by WPRESTO Quote
Stunning series. I'll add my vote to the second shot as being a real standout. Without knowing how the image was produced, it could/would pass as a painting.
Many thanks everyone. The second image is simple water movement- in other words a reflection with long lens. I took a series as the water moved. It was darkish and sullen and somewhat lacking in contrast, and I also like that version. But suddenly the sun came out enough to give it the "rippled water look." Too much light is not good either. All the others are simple camera movement. And did I mention lots and lots and lots of practice! This is what will give you an idea of how your images will turn out.

JMR