Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
1 Like  #1
Coyote
Lens: Sigma 50-500 Camera: K20D Photo Location: Elk Island 
Posted By: daacon, 10-26-2010, 07:14 PM

My daughter caught this guy out of the corner of her eye in the tall grass - I was able to get a few snaps before he took off and do whatever it is that Coyote's do ( I did not see any road runners )

Views: 4,796
10-26-2010, 08:43 PM   #2
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Excellent shots Dave. They look like paintings rather than photos. Nicely done sir.
10-26-2010, 08:44 PM   #3
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
Wow, that's the first time I've seen a coyote not on a city street. :-P

Coyotes are the only alpha predator that has grown in number with the addition of human settlements to their habitats.

Oh, and those are great shots; what focal length were you at?
10-27-2010, 05:04 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by photolady Quote
Excellent shots Dave. They look like paintings rather than photos. Nicely done sir.
Thanks photloady - I agree it does have an oil painting feel, Wish I would have got more and closer but he did not stick around long as we looked to challenging for any kind of food source

QuoteOriginally posted by m88k Quote
Wow, that's the first time I've seen a coyote not on a city street. :-P
Coyotes are the only alpha predator that has grown in number with the addition of human settlements to their habitats.
Oh, and those are great shots; what focal length were you at?
Thanks m88k ahah well this is what they look like beofre their 'road kill' status. That is interesting I did not know that. Focal length was a long as I have wich is prettry decent - Sigma 50-500 (Bigma) @ 500mm - great lens in good light.

10-27-2010, 05:27 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Nice coyote shots, Dave. Good captures of what must be an elusive critter.
Good thing you had a good spotter! Regards, Freddy
10-27-2010, 05:59 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

These are neat - I don't think I've ever seen a coyote in "the wild". I think that the road runner was so far ahead, he'd stopped over for a cold one at the local watering hole.

Jer
10-27-2010, 10:52 AM   #7
Forum Member

I didn't mean as roadkill. A couple years back with a nasty winter they were trotting around local neighborhoods. Decently far away from the nearest area you might call wilderness.

Wolves stay as far from us as they can get; coyotes are much more likely to come into human areas scavenging for food. More unusual is that he isn't equipped with any ACME branded weapons.

I'm planning a trip to Isle Royale in the spring spring in hopes of catching a shot or two of a wolf, but I'll count myself lucky if I catch a hint of one even in the distance. I've been reading up on these things and wolves have what naturalists call a minimum flight distance of over 1/4 mile. (Basically how close they'll come to humans before becoming evasive)

10-27-2010, 11:07 AM   #8

Great job, and your Bigma seems far sharper than mine
10-27-2010, 05:00 PM   #9
Forum Member

Your Bigma is also a lot sharper than my Kalimar 500mm f8 and my Celestron C90 1000mm f11 mirrors. :-P

I love the mirrors, but I'm really starting to understand how people develop LBA. The Bigma seems like the number one fix, giving quite good performance across a massive range.
10-27-2010, 05:35 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Very nice shots Dave, Bigma did come through for you. Handheld?
10-27-2010, 05:37 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Very very nice Dave. They are all nice but the composition and sharpness in the 3rd one is perfect. Only suggestion would be to clone out that one piece of grass in front of his face.

Mike
10-28-2010, 06:27 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by fevbusch Quote
Nice coyote shots, Dave. Good captures of what must be an elusive critter.
Good thing you had a good spotter! Regards, Freddy
Thanks Freddy always good to have a spotter working with ya !

QuoteOriginally posted by Sailor Quote
These are neat - I don't think I've ever seen a coyote in "the wild". I think that the road runner was so far ahead, he'd stopped over for a cold one at the local watering hole.
Jer
Thanks Jer indeed Beep Beep

I didn't mean as roadkill. A couple years back with a nasty winter they were trotting around local neighborhoods. Decently far away from the nearest area you might call wilderness.

Wolves stay as far from us as they can get; coyotes are much more likely to come into human areas scavenging for food. More unusual is that he isn't equipped with any ACME branded weapons.

I'm planning a trip to Isle Royale in the spring spring in hopes of catching a shot or two of a wolf, but I'll count myself lucky if I catch a hint of one even in the distance. I've been reading up on these things and wolves have what naturalists call a minimum flight distance of over 1/4 mile. (Basically how close they'll come to humans before becoming evasive)
Thanks again m88k - The coyote kept ACME in buisness although nothing ever worked (check out the Family Guy clip where the Coyote actuaully catches the Road Runner that is pretty funny) and good luck with your trip ! NSFW !!! Coyote Catches Road Runner - Family Guy

QuoteOriginally posted by Utik Quote
Great job, and your Bigma seems far sharper than mine
Thanks Utik - As mentioned in good light I find the Bigma fine even at 500mm. This was was kinda of hand held but I was able to sturdy myslef on the car so that helped for sure.

Your Bigma is also a lot sharper than my Kalimar 500mm f8 and my Celestron C90 1000mm f11 mirrors. :-P
I love the mirrors, but I'm really starting to understand how people develop LBA. The Bigma seems like the number one fix, giving quite good performance across a massive range.
LBA is incurrable - I like my Bigma , then have an HSM version now for Pentax I believe. It's a slow lens but as mentioned given enough light it produces some great results.

QuoteOriginally posted by Heinrich Lohmann Quote
Very nice shots Dave, Bigma did come through for you. Handheld?
Thanks Heinrich - yep more or less but an assist to the car for allowing me to brace myself.

QuoteOriginally posted by MRRiley Quote
Very very nice Dave. They are all nice but the composition and sharpness in the 3rd one is perfect. Only suggestion would be to clone out that one piece of grass in front of his face.
Mike
Thanks Mike that's a good idea.

Last edited by daacon; 10-28-2010 at 06:33 AM.
10-29-2010, 04:43 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Great Take Dave,ever ready for action TFS

cheers
10-29-2010, 11:18 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Great shots Dave. Healthy looking animal.
10-29-2010, 12:05 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by cupic Quote
Great Take Dave,ever ready for action TFS
cheers
Thanks Ivan - appreciate the comments !

QuoteOriginally posted by slowpez Quote
Great shots Dave. Healthy looking animal.
Thanks Susan yep national park lot of food options (as he sized us up were must have looked like more trouble than it was worth)