Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Too much Christmas decoration!
Posted By: philzucker, 12-03-2006, 04:02 PM

I posted this also at DPR, but think will have to explain a bit on the
background of this pic here.

From time to time there are strange guys visiting my living room.
First time was back in October last year - and there was quite an
invasion of them, if you want to take a look, follow this link:
Earnest guys in my living room photo - phsan photos at pbase.com

Today they have returned - only four of them this time, but with an
extraordinary zeal for Christmas decoration. But they definitely overdid it and went absolutely wild! And afterwards they were very unsure about
what they had done. But see for yourself:

Technical notes: As you've seen it's not a new technique, but I tried to
give it a twist by making a mini pano here.

You're looking at a composite made out of (if I counted
correctly) 38 single pics - all taken with the Ds, Zenitar, 0,7s, f8.0, ISO 200.
Left half and right half consists of 19 pics each, and after flattening the two
remaining primary frames were stitched in PTGui (equirectangular projection looked best).

Afterwards some minor further PP, and the pic was ready for
presentation. I hope it's a least good for a laugh - so enjoy! :-)

--
Phil

GMT +1
Views: 3,344
12-03-2006, 04:18 PM   #2
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
Phil this is your best off the wall photo yet. just awesome I really like it. thanks for sharing. the work you have put into it is fantastic.

Good shooting.
Cheers: David
12-03-2006, 05:07 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Excellent! BTW, did you notice that in at least one occasion someone at DPR posted similar photograph calling it something like "philzuckerized self-portrait"? (But I can't find that post on DPR now!) So the technique should be called "philzuckerization" then? LOL!
12-03-2006, 06:56 PM   #4
Veteran Member

This requires a lot of work. One of you has multiple hands like one of buddhist budhisava who has 1 thousand hands. Is this Buddhist figure giving you the inspiration?

Very nice and interesting photography art!

Cheers

12-03-2006, 07:08 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Wow, you've got a clone of your own. You must be beside yourself.

On the unpunny side, nice work and a lot of it. Thanks for the laugh.
12-03-2006, 07:28 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Tremendous composite, as usual. I laughed out loud.
12-04-2006, 01:17 AM   #7

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
Thanks all!

Thanks all for your kind comments! :-))

@roentarre: Buddhist? Maybe - now that you mention it ... ;-) I originally wanted to do a Christmas tree impersonation, but I'm definitely open to all religions and philosophies!

Phil

12-04-2006, 06:43 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Phil I alaws liked your shots like this. Some day Imay give it a try.Youcould always use a few extra arms when it comes to hanging Xmas lights.
12-04-2006, 09:56 AM   #9
Inactive Account

Great job, these shots are fascinating.
12-04-2006, 04:25 PM   #10
Inactive Account

It's good for a laugh allright. And better. Thank you for showing this picture that made me think of life and people lonely at Christmas. (For no obvious reason, maybe something with your facial expression and all the lights.)

regards,

Last edited by Jonas B; 12-04-2006 at 04:26 PM. Reason: (ooops, double signature, not thinking)
12-05-2006, 06:23 AM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by i.glisin Quote
Excellent! BTW, did you notice that in at least one occasion someone at DPR posted similar photograph calling it something like "philzuckerized self-portrait"? (But I can't find that post on DPR now!) So the technique should be called "philzuckerization" then? LOL!
It was HERE that I saw the technique - it was one with the kids.

Phil, you're saying these are NOT double-exposure but multiple shots and then cut-up???? How do you get the "handyarmyguy"? Ever do a pictorial of your technique?

Thanks for the laugh AND technique - the guys from october are great but the Robber is the best.
12-05-2006, 08:26 AM   #12

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Jonas B Quote
It's good for a laugh allright. And better. Thank you for showing this picture that made me think of life and people lonely at Christmas. (For no obvious reason, maybe something with your facial expression and all the lights.)

regards,
Hi, Jonas! Thanks for looking - and interesting that this was your reaction too it. I'm sure a bit concentrated on what I'm doing, and not showing a relaxed expression at all; so that might lead to your thoughts. And of course - metaphorically speaking - it's a lonely person in this picture, multiplied only, but not with companionship ...

You get me thinking about my own picture. Thanks for that!

Phil
12-05-2006, 08:39 AM   #13

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by JCSullivan Quote
Phil, you're saying these are NOT double-exposure but multiple shots and then cut-up???? How do you get the "handyarmyguy"? Ever do a pictorial of your technique?
Thanks for looking and for your comments!

No, no pictorial done yet - I made a very short tutorial on another group (not DPR!) once, but even that was too time consuming.

To put it short: Double exposures are not necessary in the digital age. What you need is a post processing program that supports layers and masks (like Photoshop - even rather old and cheap versions - or the free "The Gimp").

You use layers to stack pictures onto each other and masks to hide/reveal selected areas of those layers. If you use a tripod for the single exposures, stacking pictures is very easy - else you'll additionally have some aligning to do.

There is a wealth of Photoshop literature out there dealing with layer and masking techniques ...

All in all this PP technique is pretty simple and straightforward. The challenging part is to find something that stacks and combines well! :-)

Phil
12-06-2006, 03:49 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Thanks Phil - must try it.
12-06-2006, 07:39 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Really like this one!

Merry Christmas Phil! This has put me in the spirit finally. Been kind of hard to get there lately with all the stuff - practice, performances, parade, work - YUK!

Thanks for the push into the season!