Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Ouch
Posted By: little laker, 09-17-2007, 01:01 AM

I'd usually delete photo's of this quality, but this was one of the riders at the country fair.

if you look she's sitting a little higher than she should be

Too late to save it now

the landing

She got up on her own, but I imagine that she'll be sore tomorrow
Views: 2,323
09-17-2007, 05:53 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Stu I don't see anything worng with the quality ? Anyway nice series - appears Horse 1 Rider 0 Glad to hear nothing more wounded than perhaps her pride (and possible sitting on a pillow the next few days)
09-17-2007, 07:31 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks Dave,

I hope that your right about her only sitting on a pillow for a few days. I o know what that feels like.

I was deleting most images this quality last night, since I have several hundred which turned out sharper
I'll probably post a few by the end of the day.
09-17-2007, 08:29 AM   #4
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Photos: Gallery | Albums
That's a great series Stu. On my screen I don't see much wrong with these. Nicely done and in each shot you have the right sequence leading to the next shot. Tells the story perfectly. Who said a Pentax can't capture fast action in experienced hands.

09-17-2007, 02:19 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Delete? I thought the series was great. Thanks for sharing
09-17-2007, 03:24 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Hi Stu,
That is actually a great series.

I would even venture to say if the girl was serious about her sport she would be very keen to see the series because it shows very clearly how she got her technique wrong, it would be very helpful to her.

Didn't someone say some time back, something about a picture being worth a thousand words.

Please keep posting these fair ( we call them 'shows') shots...they make me very nostalgic!
09-17-2007, 04:07 PM   #7
Inactive Account

Great shots Stu. I can't believe you would delete shots like this. I love the series and the quality is there.

09-17-2007, 04:59 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Sorry about that. I guess that it's a good thing I haven't emptied the recycling bin yet

It's just that when you have probably over 100 photographs around this quality to choose from gets too easy to hit the delete button

I'll be moving everything from my recycle bin into a separate file, to sort through them again.

Do you think that all those Canon and Nikon shooters would be too upset if I told them I was not just shooting a Pentax, but I was shooting completely in manual..... even manual focus with an OLD lens
09-17-2007, 06:56 PM   #9
Ole
Administrator

That horse has good brakes!
09-18-2007, 02:51 AM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by little laker Quote
Sorry about that. I guess that it's a good thing I haven't emptied the recycling bin yet

It's just that when you have probably over 100 photographs around this quality to choose from gets too easy to hit the delete button

I'll be moving everything from my recycle bin into a separate file, to sort through them again.

Do you think that all those Canon and Nikon shooters would be too upset if I told them I was not just shooting a Pentax, but I was shooting completely in manual..... even manual focus with an OLD lens
Nah Stu, they're big enough and ugly enough to deal with it.

At the risk of repeating myself, but again you have captured a technically important shot from the riders point of view...Why?
Not being there or knowing the event, I will guess that that is a dressage event, the girls concentration on the horses front feet suggests that the required movement is a "sideways step"... a difficult movement.
Now note the expression on the horse...it is not happy or comfortable, the movement is "un-natural" causing the horse concern. The answer is a lot more training and practice so that this shot shows the horses ears pricked forward and looking a lot more relaxed.

Before the animal libbers come after me with the "un-natural" bit, a horse will do that movement all by itself but to do it on command is another matter, and requires a great understanding between horse and rider.

Keep it up Stu, I am really looking forward to the ones from the deleted file.
Cheers mate.
09-18-2007, 03:58 AM   #11
Veteran Member

A great story teller from your series of photos. The last shot is a really great one where I see motion of the horse and expression from the woman's face
09-19-2007, 08:01 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by little laker Quote

She got up on her own, but I imagine that she'll be sore tomorrow
Stu,

And twenty years from now her spine will be paying the price for that fall too. Yikes!!!!

Stephen
09-19-2007, 08:31 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I really wish that I didn't know that first hand Stephan

Up until 2 weeks ago I would always have my camera bag over my left shoulder.
Then I got a reminder that I had broken my left collar bone 18 years ago

Now I have to carry it on my right shoulder. I don't recall ever having an injury on my right side, so I hope that I don't get another reminder.
I'd have to either hire someone to carry it for me or wear a backpack and hope for the best.
09-19-2007, 10:10 PM   #14
Veteran Member

I am surprised she wasn't wearing a helmet as well ... especially doing a slalom run as well.

The last shot looks like it was from a jumping event and has just finished landing from the jump... so the shot looks like it was taken at the awkward moment of trying to regain balance after landing.

Wish I could get out and taken shots from events .. but all NSW events that I know of have been post-poned until next year due the Influenz Epidemic so far ... boooo.