Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Ocean Beach California
Posted By: LaRee, 09-18-2007, 11:04 AM

I am trying out Zenfolio as a new hosting site for my photographs. I took a walk in Ocean Beach Sunday and thought I'd share a couple shots here.

I think I may have to start resizing my images as Zenfolio seems a bit slower than Smugmug. Smugmug has really raised the prices on their gallery hosting since I started with them almost 3 years ago.

Here is a link to the whole gallery if you care to see more. I am trying to get a feel if framing adds anything or just makes the photo smaller at Zenfolio.I had to ditch my Opera browser and now I am trying out Firefox so everything looks different to me!

Zenfolio | LaRee | Ocean Beach

Please let me know what you think. Thank you!
Views: 3,055
09-18-2007, 12:03 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Both shots you have here are beautiful. However, I really love the first one; it's got the colour, the sun-rays, the sail and the birds.....all small, but all really work together to make the shot interesting.

Also, the frame in the first one helps, but I'd be prone to fully framing it - not just the top and bottom. I'd also recommend a narrower frame so it doesn't command any more interest than enhancing the photo.

Overall, very nicely done!
09-18-2007, 12:05 PM   #3
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
Well there certainly nice photographs. The skys are brilliant and I like the wee surfer dude walkin in pic 2
09-18-2007, 03:09 PM   #4
Veteran Member

LaRee, beautiful images from you. The first shot is like a painting to me, birds flying in the sky, sail in the ocean below. The light breaks out in the lower one third.

09-18-2007, 03:14 PM   #5
Inactive Account

ahh... serenity.... both are excellent, but the first really grabs me!
09-18-2007, 04:15 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Wonderfull captures - both of those are relaxingggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
09-18-2007, 04:29 PM   #7
Veteran Member

#2 would be great if you didnt post #1. But since I have both to compare...... #1 is the winner. Super shot.

09-18-2007, 05:37 PM   #8
m8o
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
+1 to what Mr. Hyde said... #2's great ... #1's spectacular.
09-18-2007, 05:39 PM   #9
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

QuoteOriginally posted by daacon Quote
Wonderfull captures - both of those are relaxingggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
LOL Dave,

I agree that both are great shots but number one is the better of the 2. Love the sky, Birds and exposure captured. Great job
09-18-2007, 09:54 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Hey thank you!

Thank you for the nice comments. I did get a kick out of that first shot. I saw the light, pelicans and boat all come together. I took a series of 3 or 4 shots as the Pelicans made their way across the skyline. They all came out good, but there is something about this one that stands out in the series. The light and angle is constantly changing.

I may even take the time to resize it and submit it to the Pentax Photo Gallery. I don't know, I'm still bummed about them holding 2 of the last submissions I made for 3 weeks and then rejecting them. They rejected 3 right off and then tortured me over the last two. Oh well, no accounting for taste. LOL

Thanks again for taking the time to leave a comment. I always wonder how 60 people can look at a photo post and not have something to say. Maybe they are speed viewing?

Thank you for the feedback on the frame too Andrew. I have a tug of war with myself over framing. I have a really great little program called idframer that provides unlimited options. But sometimes it *seems* to make the image look more distant somehow. I do agree that the boarder is way too wide for this shot. I will have to do a custom frame and narrow it.
09-19-2007, 03:03 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Great pics

Zenfolio is very nice,if you want i can send you a referral code and you'll get a 5$ discount.
Just tell me your email through PM.
09-19-2007, 04:33 AM   #12
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

QuoteOriginally posted by LaRee Quote
I always wonder how 60 people can look at a photo post and not have something to say. Maybe they are speed viewing?
Don't forget we have about 50% more guests than members just looking around at any given time that can't post. I suspect that's often why some threads get so few responses vs views. I'm uncertain why so many would choose to 'lurk in the shadows'.
09-19-2007, 08:38 AM   #13
Veteran Member

I really like both shots. The first one is outstanding IMHO. A great timing of events to get everything in the right spot at the right time.
09-19-2007, 03:35 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Great pictures but as others have said the first is outstanding. Great composure, contrasting colours and full of interest.

Paul
09-19-2007, 04:04 PM   #15
Forum Member

My favourite is actually the seagull perched above the parasol.

Duncan.