Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
DIY Macro Setup
Lens: D-FA 100mm F2.8 WR Camera: K-x ISO: 100 Shutter Speed: 1/180s Aperture: F11 
Posted By: jaieger, 11-05-2010, 11:53 PM

so I finally got around to making a DIY flash set up for macro, and wow was I amazed at the results right from the start! What the ability shoot at 1/180 and all, the no longer having to worry about hand shake/motion blur or setting up a tripod makes macros so much more fun/accessible in day-to-day shooting now, and my dfa100 has been unloved for too long. i can't wait to get out in the wild with this; here're some results from around the house:

I have since washed these.

and the actual thing:

taken on the k-5 at iso 80 with the da35 macro at f5.6
Views: 2,852
11-06-2010, 11:21 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Nice work on the flash gizmo. I should do the same. Some of these are of-focus... but that is the challenge isn't it? I find I get a pretty low rate of keepers at high magnification.

You might be interested in my last blog article: Using A Macro Adapter (Bower Revisited).
11-06-2010, 03:58 PM   #3
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Here's a DIY macro slider I made from an old Pentax bellows setup I got off of Ebay, cost about $15.00 USD. As it turned out the bellows itself was peppered with holes throughout so I just shelved it for about a year when I got the idea of converting it to a macro slider. After a major retrofit and about a buck in additional parts, I came up with the finished product; a precision slider for maybe 3 hours work...used a generic slider for the base.
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/members/jax_zee-albums-sigma-ex-dg-105-f2...entaxforum.jpg

Last edited by jax_zee; 11-06-2010 at 04:03 PM. Reason: Wrong image url
11-06-2010, 04:29 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by rparmar Quote
Nice work on the flash gizmo. I should do the same. Some of these are of-focus... but that is the challenge isn't it? I find I get a pretty low rate of keepers at high magnification.

You might be interested in my last blog article: Using A Macro Adapter (Bower Revisited).
Thanks for the comment.

Yeah, absolutely! For me the new challenge is timing it just right when I'm leaning in/out to get the shot; the DoF is so small that it's easier to do that then actually adjust the focus.

Definitely very interesting, that's what awesome about macro eh? So many ways to play around with it at low cost.

QuoteOriginally posted by jax_zee Quote
Here's a DIY macro slider I made from an old Pentax bellows setup I got off of Ebay, cost about $15.00 USD. As it turned out the bellows itself was peppered with holes throughout so I just shelved it for about a year when I got the idea of converting it to a macro slider. After a major retrofit and about a buck in additional parts, I came up with the finished product; a precision slider for maybe 3 hours work...used a generic slider for the base.
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/members/jax_zee-albums-sigma-ex-dg-105-f2...entaxforum.jpg
Thanks for the comment. Thats awesome! I love macro for this reason, there're so many possibilities with a few bucks and some DIY. Who needs weather sealing when you have cardboard!

11-06-2010, 04:31 PM   #5
Forum Member

I like what you came up with for the macro flash, resulting in some good macro pix; I made something comparable with a box I lined with a silver material similar to aluminum foil. It's still being tweaked but with some interesting results. Who says you have to spend $550.00 + for a Pentax ring flash.
11-08-2010, 05:12 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Haha yeah absolutely! Adds to the whole cost effective thing with macro or pentax in general Though I should find some material to make it more sturdy, it won't really hold up well if I stuff it in my bag... :/