Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Critiques wanted
Posted By: G.G., 09-18-2007, 12:35 PM

Does this look a little out of focus to you? Im still trying to learn the basics and Im not sure why my focus seems to be a little off. Im using auto focus. I just wanted some opinion on this.

Attached Images

Views: 1,699
09-18-2007, 12:52 PM   #2
Forum Member

You may be experiencing a shallow depth of field here. Remember that the closer you get to a subject you're going to photograph, the smaller the area that will be "in focus" becomes. If you were very close to this bird, and using a low numbered aperature, then often you will only have an inch or two of depth that will be in focus. So you actually will have to choose whether you want the tip of its beak sharp or its eye, because you can't have both unless you increase aperature or back up/zoom out. Hope that's understandable.
09-18-2007, 12:59 PM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by anthropas Quote
You may be experiencing a shallow depth of field here. Remember that the closer you get to a subject you're going to photograph, the smaller the area that will be "in focus" becomes. If you were very close to this bird, and using a low numbered aperature, then often you will only have an inch or two of depth that will be in focus. So you actually will have to choose whether you want the tip of its beak sharp or its eye, because you can't have both unless you increase aperature or back up/zoom out. Hope that's understandable.
Thanks so much for the info! I will try that the next time I shoot something like this. Very much appreciated!
09-18-2007, 01:13 PM   #4
Veteran Member

One last thing to keep in mind - no matter how shallow the depth of field is - is that if the eye isn't in focus, it will diminish the impact of the photograph.

That said, it looks like you hit the focus on the beak where it joins the head, but the eye is still pretty sharp in spite of the limited depth of field. I'd say it's a good shoot and if you cropped it to a verticle framing, it would be even better.

09-18-2007, 01:32 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Did you sharpen the image after downsizing it for the web? If not, if you have Photoshop, Unsharp Mask at .75 - 75 - 3 should just about do it.

Tim
09-18-2007, 02:11 PM   #6

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by atupdate Quote
Did you sharpen the image after downsizing it for the web? If not, if you have Photoshop, Unsharp Mask at .75 - 75 - 3 should just about do it.

Tim

Thanks everyone ! Ill take your advice and try those things this evening!
09-18-2007, 04:43 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Please clarify

QuoteOriginally posted by atupdate Quote

Tim
Tim,
I think you just solved a problem for me but I need some clarification. Your numbers have me a little confused. Do you mean Amount 75% radius .75 pixels threshold 3 levels?

Thanks for your help,

Ken

09-18-2007, 08:17 PM   #8
Veteran Member

I think that was what Tim meant exactly.

Smaller the radius, less likely halo effect. I might go for 0.5 pixel and 125% radius
09-19-2007, 03:52 AM   #9
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by regken Quote
Tim,
I think you just solved a problem for me but I need some clarification. Your numbers have me a little confused. Do you mean Amount 75% radius .75 pixels threshold 3 levels?

Thanks for your help,

Ken
Ken,

In PSP X terms the settings are Radius .75, Strength 75, Clipping 3
In Photoshop terms the settings are Amount 75%, Radius 0.75 pixels, Threshold 3.

Some images require a bit more sharpening after resizing. For those images I use Amount 100%, Radius 1 pixels, Threshold 3.

Hope this helps.

Tim

Last edited by atupdate; 09-19-2007 at 04:01 AM.