Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Stages of Decay
Lens: DA 18-55mm II Camera: K200D Photo Location: Deep Woods 
Posted By: Tamia, 11-07-2010, 06:52 AM

On a hike through the woods in the rain a couple weeks ago, I noticed an unusual sight as I crossed over a downed tree trunk which was so far gone that the bark had sloughed away. A maple leaf had fallen onto the trunk and was almost entirely rotted away, leaving a fine tracery of its vascular network standing proud. A few plaques of the leaf's tissues remained behind. I was reminded of fossils. Here's the leaf (cross-posted with Photo Critique):

I shot only one picture and then went on. When I processed the photo (originally as a B&W), I became even more intrigued by the leaf and so went hiking again to find it and re-shoot. Again it was drizzling, and I didn't find that particular leaf, but I noticed others which had fallen onto downed trunks and were in various stages of decay. I was captivated by the nature of this process, and now I began to think of the anatomy of our own bodies. It was Halloween, so perhaps that helped me think this way. Anyway, here are examples of the kinds of details I found. Not all are as sharp as I'd like, but the structures are still visible and, I think, quite beautiful and fascinating...

Not Far Gone

Half Way

Layers of Decay

Telling a Tale of Life

Trio

Curved

Views: 2,378
11-07-2010, 07:02 AM - 1 Like   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Ain't nature wonderful and giving us a lot to admire and think about?
Interesting shots, I especially like the Trio where the leaves (or whats left of them) look a bit like silver.
11-07-2010, 02:17 PM   #3

These are captivating indeed. Both the theme and the execution, including the post-processing. I particularly like the first photograph, but all of them deserve to be looked at and enjoyed.
11-08-2010, 05:44 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks much for your comments, Karen and Gfonso. When shooting Trio I was surprised to find the caterpillar out in the open. It was quite cold with spitting snow, yet there he was, maybe wishing the leaves were fresh so he could have a meal.

11-08-2010, 06:25 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

your last composition is very well executed... the shading, contrast and sharpness are outstanding..... (funny... the title could be my autobiography.. lol...) dave m
11-08-2010, 10:42 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Shame on me, I never saw the caterpillar until you mentioned it.
11-08-2010, 05:15 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by dcmsox2004 Quote
your last composition is very well executed... the shading, contrast and sharpness are outstanding..... (funny... the title could be my autobiography.. lol...) dave m
Thanks very much, Dave. Your autobiography, eh?

QuoteOriginally posted by KarenH Quote
Shame on me, I never saw the caterpillar until you mentioned it.
Don't feel bad, Karen. I didn't notice the caterpillar until I stood up after shooting the photo!
11-09-2010, 11:41 PM   #8
Inactive Account

Great series!

#'s 1, 6, & 7 are especially good.