Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
B&W or Color? C&C Please (2 imgs)
Posted By: sajmmiller, 09-18-2007, 05:27 PM

I took this shot today and am having difficulty deciding how to best process it. Is it better in B&W or color? Any additional C&C would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Scott
Views: 2,212
09-18-2007, 07:27 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
At the moment I'm leaning toward the color, though with more contrast, I could go with the B/W.
09-18-2007, 08:32 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I like the tones you've set up in the B&W version. But the color version provides more interest to the eye. Really, there isn't much color in most of the color image. This makes the colorful spots really stand out. Both images seem kind of cluttered however. The B&W negates this feeling some, but doesn't seem to have any really focal point. Maybe dodging the mailbox and burning in the bright, blank peice of wood below it will provide one. Conversely, the pastel green mailbox seems like a strong focal point in the color version. But this version has much more of a problem with too much going on. And again, the white wood below the mailbox distracts the eye.

This image has promise not yet fulfilled IMHO. Hope this helps.

Regards,

-Mark
09-18-2007, 08:35 PM   #4
Veteran Member

both are tonally very dull. The bw isn't, it's grey. The colour looks like either its foggy, unclean lens, or Pentax's infamous dull jpeg issue.

It appears sharp though, so with editing you could probably rescue this shot.

09-19-2007, 07:54 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
New Versions

I really do appreciate all of your suggestions. This is a learning experience for me. I re-adjusted the curves and contrast in my Raw converter and added some saturation. I also tried a brown-toned B/W conversion. All versions should have a bit more punch now.

Mark,
I need to give some thought to your dodging/burning suggestion. I agree the photo is busy, but I'm not sure what to do about it. I thought that the components (mailbox, window, colored tiles, ivy, old wood sign, etc.) all tied into the "old", "deteriorated", "antique" theme, but maybe it is too distracting. Hmmm....

Here's the punchier versions. Any additional comments, good or bad, welcome.

09-19-2007, 08:50 AM   #6
Inactive Account

the second set is much better. I think the color could use just a tad more saturation... but that's just my opinion. I normally look for the plant life to look like my eyes see them, then everything else will usually fall into place, or at least look natural.

Now that that waqs said... I think your toned B&W is the best of the bunch. Very nice!
09-19-2007, 11:11 AM   #7
Veteran Member

I'm a fan of B/W but personally, I think the colour is more pleasing to the eye in this case.

I especially like the rusty mailbox in the foreground, I think it most benefits from colour.

Pat

09-19-2007, 11:24 AM   #8
Forum Member

I would have to say color
09-19-2007, 04:18 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Second set is much better... made it even hard to choose. I like the look of the middle 'sepia-ish' one just because it goes along with the antique theme... but I REALLY like the color one. I love the whole color scheme of the photo. I agree too that the color could be bumped up a bit more.
09-20-2007, 07:16 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Another Color Revision

Again, thanks to everyone who gave their opinion. I agree with the majority here and rank the versions as follows:

1. Color
2. Brown-Toned
3. B/W

Although I like the brown-toned version, the color does seem to add something. I took the suggestion to saturate the color version a bit more. I also adjusted the curves a bit too. I think I'm satisfied with it now. What do you think?

Kind Regards,
Scott
09-20-2007, 08:54 AM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I like your most recent one best. The added color saturation helps a lot.
09-20-2007, 02:37 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The color one for sure. The edits you've made have worked well and the last color one is a mature image. To me, the colors themselves are the subjects, not any one element in the shot.