Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Trash Day - More Selective Monochrome
Lens: Auto Sears 50mm F/2 Camera: Pentax K-x Photo Location: In suburbia 
Posted By: MikeS, 11-09-2010, 06:07 PM

I liked the idea of the row of trash cans, but I didn't like this shot after seeing it on the computer. I tried some more selective monochrome via software, and I liked the result.

Do you like it?

Views: 1,819
11-09-2010, 08:47 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Very neat effect- it's the prettiest trash photo I've seen to date

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
11-09-2010, 10:14 PM   #3
Veteran Member

The selective blue is effective but would be more so I think if the blacks and whites were less gray.
Very good idea, however.
11-10-2010, 10:12 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Would benefit from some drastic cropping IMHO -- the houses, street, & other stuff on left side distract me. I'd go vertical & really tight on the lined-up row of carts. Which would also emphasize the neat selective-focus thing you've got going on there; the extraneous stuff makes it unclear that this was a deliberate decision instead of "whoops, forgot to set f/stop for sufficient DOF". Much harder to perceive that effect (which I'm confident was deliberate ) in a 3D-ish world-view capture than in a narrowly-aimed compo where depth is emphasized over X and Y.

11-11-2010, 10:30 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Nowhere Matt Quote
The selective blue is effective but would be more so I think if the blacks and whites were less gray.
Very good idea, however.
Are you saying it could be a contrast issue?

I tried adjusting the curves a bit, and got this... any better, in your opinion?

EDIT: Of course, now the blue seems to dark ^.^

Last edited by MikeS; 11-11-2010 at 10:44 AM.
11-11-2010, 10:50 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by fewayne Quote
Would benefit from some drastic cropping IMHO -- the houses, street, & other stuff on left side distract me. I'd go vertical & really tight on the lined-up row of carts. Which would also emphasize the neat selective-focus thing you've got going on there; the extraneous stuff makes it unclear that this was a deliberate decision instead of "whoops, forgot to set f/stop for sufficient DOF". Much harder to perceive that effect (which I'm confident was deliberate ) in a 3D-ish world-view capture than in a narrowly-aimed compo where depth is emphasized over X and Y.
I see what you mean. The DOF was deliberate, and this is already about a ~40% crop. I tried messing around with your suggestions. I'm not sure I don't like the original better, but what do you think? Is this kinda what you had in mind?

I was having trouble composing the shot via this crop. I wanted to have the OOF trashcan visible in front, yet I didn't want too much of the street to the left; however, I wanted the in-focus trashcan to be just right of center in the upper third... Not sure if all that is possible with the original shot I had, but what do you think?

11-11-2010, 12:36 PM   #7
Veteran Member

I like selective coloring! I prefer your second version for the composition.