Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Couple of Birds
Lens: various Camera: k-x Photo Location: louisiana ISO: 200 
Posted By: Paleo Pete, 11-10-2010, 09:15 AM

Some of the birds I've shot recently and managed to get decent shots.

Bluebird, Lentar 90-230 and flash (not often I use flash) No editing, crop and resize only.

Click image to view larger size

Golden Crowned Kinglet. Tiny bird, I've been trying to catch these little guys for a long time. This is not a great shot, but I was glad to get a few shots of this bird at all. They rarely sit still, move fast and are difficult to keep up with. I caught several of them feeding, the only time I've ever seen one sit still for more than a couple of seconds. Lentar 90-230 lens.

Wren. (Carolina Wren I think) Another small, fast moving bird, but they do sit still now and then, if not for long...this one was at the bird blind at a local wildlife management area, Black Bayou Lake, shot through a tilted glass window. Rokinon 75-300 lens.

Views: 1,662
11-10-2010, 10:55 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I really like the first one. I think I would try to crop in closer and lose more of the sky. Same goes for the second one focus in on the bird more!
11-10-2010, 11:05 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Nice shots, particularly #1. I agree a little cropping would make them even better shots.
11-11-2010, 06:54 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
Thanks for the comments and compliments. The bluebird I think is 1600x1200, might be able to crop it a little tighter without trouble, but the Kinglet and Wren are already cropped as far as I can go without getting noisy. Both are very small and far enough away I had to do 1280x960 just to get what I did. If I go 1024x768 both start to get noisy. I'd like to crop the Kinglet tighter but I like the wren just like it is, something about the log taking up most of the frame just makes the picture. I think if I cropped it more it would lose someting I can't quite put a finger on...

I was wishing I had a 400mm or 500mm lens for both of those...and barely got the Kinglet focused well enough to give me a decent picture.