Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Botanical Gardens
Posted By: Mechan1k, 09-20-2007, 06:27 AM

Well ... decided to head up the mountains to the Botanical Gardens not too far away from where I live ... ended up being a bitterly cold day with a Westerly gale blowing through the gardens ... made it interesting to say the least.

I decided not to take the tripod ... as the wind would have blown it and the camera over for sure (it was that strong I was having issues walking in some areas.

The problem also I came across was that I should have left it well into Spring to go there and not in Winter. Hardly anything was in bloom ... and whatever was in bloom ... I was having issues trying to getting them sharp due to movement.

I haven't had a chance to do anything with these images ... they are straight off the camera .. here's a selection that were OK ... just posting them up to share what I saw there.

Views: 2,036
09-20-2007, 06:33 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Oh ... all I used was my trsuty K10D and 18-55mm kit lens ... and a UV filter.
09-20-2007, 07:00 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Nice series simon - I love the first one - I am always amazed where plant life can grow. What are those blue petals in the #4 ?
09-20-2007, 07:04 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by daacon Quote
Nice series simon - I love the first one - I am always amazed where plant life can grow. What are those blue petals in the #4 ?
I should have mentioned ... something I have never seen in the wild before ... it was a bowerbird nest in the middle of the gardens ... the owner was a little shy and was watching fro ma safe place

He's been nested there for years and has many partners he woo's ... lucky boy.

Unfortunately ... no images of him though

09-20-2007, 07:09 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Mechan1k Quote
I should have mentioned ... something I have never seen in the wild before ... it was a bowerbird nest in the middle of the gardens ... the owner was a little shy and was watching fro ma safe place

He's been nested there for years and has many partners he woo's ... lucky boy.

Unfortunately ... no images of him though
ahh that explains the nest - upon closer inspection haha (put my glasses on and had some coffee they are not petals at all but rather caps of some sort - perahps a colorfull colletion for the bowerbird to 'spruce up the place' to woo the ladies ?
09-20-2007, 07:24 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Simon. I really like #7. The pastel purples of that plant are very nice. Any idea what it is? Looks almost like a paper flower.
09-20-2007, 07:47 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by MRRiley Quote
Simon. I really like #7. The pastel purples of that plant are very nice. Any idea what it is? Looks almost like a paper flower.
I am not 100% sure ... I think it was within the Protea section (South African). I was hoping all my other Protea shots would come through ... but they were blurred due to the wind

I was hoping to get a Waratah or 2 ... but they were not in season at the time either .... I really should do my research before I rock up on a whim to take photos.

They had a few Wollemi pines on-site ... only recently discovered within the area ... it's a new species and they are trying to cultivate more of them there ... it's slow going ... I have one shot of one ... but it's within a cage

09-20-2007, 07:49 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I should also mention that those gums I tried to take a shot of ... are approximately 100m (just over 300ft) tall ... can't remember the type of gum tree though for the life of me.
09-20-2007, 09:24 AM   #9
Inactive Account

I like that last shot a lot, very nice series.
09-20-2007, 10:29 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by scott-devon Quote
I like that last shot a lot, very nice series.
It was one of those ... lets have a go and see what we got sort of shots.

Hang on ... here's the EXIF
File size: 188374 bytes
File date: 2007:09:20 06:46:01
Camera make: PENTAX Corporation
Camera model: PENTAX K10D
Date/Time: 2007:08:09 11:39:03
Resolution: 800 x 536
Flash used: No
Focal length: 55.0mm (35mm equivalent: 82mm)
Exposure time: 0.017 s (1/60)
Aperture: f/5.6
ISO equiv.: 400
Whitebalance: Auto
Metering Mode: matrix
Exposure: aperture priority (semi-auto)
09-20-2007, 10:38 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Mechan1k Quote
I am not 100% sure ... I think it was within the Protea section (South African).
Some Proteas that sort of turned out OK .... could have been better.
Had harsh sunlight from one way and windy from the other ... was fun.