Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
calendar girl, take two
Posted By: davemdsn, 09-20-2007, 10:16 PM

Another shot from the calendar shoots. It's not as sexy as it could be, but this girl doesn't really do sexy, she is more cute.

This was the K10D, Tamron 28-75 f2.8, Vivitar 283 into silver umbrella to camera right fired with radio slave, lowering sun as fill. Exposure was 1/180 @ f4.

Views: 3,349
09-21-2007, 12:31 AM   #2

Photos: Gallery
Hmm,

There is a smile missing. Also, the contrast between tough bike girl and her shoes is too much for me.
Hope this helps.
Branimir
09-21-2007, 06:35 AM   #3
Inactive Account

I like the contrast but I agree with Branimir, her enthusiasm doesn't seem to be very engaged. Less of the tough girl and more of the 'cute'. Too serious. Just my take.
09-21-2007, 07:06 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I like the dichotomy of the racing gloves and high heels. IMO that makes the picture.

I probably would have liked her looking at the camera, her look as-is makes her eyes look a little lazy, but she is pretty enough to overcome that.

09-21-2007, 08:11 AM   #5
Inactive Account

Original Poster
I've never understood why people need to be looking at the camera. I like shots where the interaction with camera is not direct. I only like smiles as long as they don't look forced, and this girl had problems with that. I shot her last year and had the same problem.

As for her overall mood in the photo, it does look a little tired. Good thing I have others where the mood is better. In a lot of the shots she is even looking at the camera and has a hint of a smile.
09-21-2007, 08:24 AM   #6
Veteran Member

If everyone looked at the camera for every shot we'd be bored of that, the same is true if everyone looked away form the camera for the shot.

I like the pic in general Dave. She looks both cute, and a little sad at the same time.

I wish that I could do belly dancer part 2 today
09-21-2007, 08:40 AM   #7
Veteran Member

I've got one question. Where's the bike? I feel that the model (and picture) is totally out of context. Did you get any shots with the model, gloves, helmet and bike? I'd like to see those. I'd like to see more background too. Is she dirt biking? Let's see some jumps in the background!

As far as eye contact goes. The eyes are the windows to our souls. Sure the model has a sad look to her, but I think it would be a more powerful look, if she was in fact looking into the camera. Eye contact in photos isn't simply eye contact with the camera, its eye contact with everyone looking at the picture.

I'm not a professional photographer, nor are my shots very good. This is simply my take on it.

really awesome pictures on your flickr page BTW, you're April 10 self portrait came out great!

Last edited by jshurak; 09-21-2007 at 08:49 AM.
09-21-2007, 08:46 AM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by davemdsn Quote
I've never understood why people need to be looking at the camera.
I've never understood why people need to make sweeping generalizations based on one data point.
09-21-2007, 12:27 PM   #9
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by carpents Quote
I've never understood why people need to make sweeping generalizations based on one data point.
Sorry, just meant to say that I purposely don't always have my subjects look at the camera. A lot of people don't like it.
09-21-2007, 12:35 PM   #10
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Branimir Quote
Hmm,

There is a smile missing. Also, the contrast between tough bike girl and her shoes is too much for me.
Hope this helps.
Branimir
This is a valid point. The photos are for a radio station's web site and they wanted sexy shots. The theme ended up being sports, since the station is sports talk, so I wanted to do sports shots that had a feminine contrast to them. The tennis shot looked pretty good with high heels so I decided to run it as a common thread in all the shots. It may not work with all of them.

The reason for not having her look at the camera in some shots is that I photographed a lot of these same girls last year for their print calendar and they are looking at the camera in every shot. This year I wanted to add a little bit of variety. Again, doesn't work every time.

Thank you for the comments, and to all who commented, as it helps me see things differently than when I shot it.
09-21-2007, 12:46 PM   #11
and
Veteran Member

Nice to see some shots from Pentax users that are using off camera flash
I wonder how it would look if there was a second flash fired at a lower setting, oposite the main light, hitting her back as a rim light.
09-21-2007, 04:00 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Chris, just a thought but if you somehow get the chance to re-do this photo how about having her bare footed, and with a set of motorcycle boots laying beside her.
Some jewelery on her foot or ankle would also add a little sex appeal as well.
09-21-2007, 04:12 PM   #13
and
Veteran Member

Good point, the shoes dont really match the outfit, gloves and helmet.

QuoteOriginally posted by little laker Quote
Chris, just a thought but if you somehow get the chance to re-do this photo how about having her bare footed, and with a set of motorcycle boots laying beside her.
Some jewelery on her foot or ankle would also add a little sex appeal as well.
09-21-2007, 05:12 PM   #14
Pentaxian

I've never understood why people need to be looking at the camera. .

They don't, except for calendars where you want to engage the viewer :-)
09-21-2007, 05:31 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Sorry, just meant to say that I purposely don't always have my subjects look at the camera. A lot of people don't like it.
I gotcha. [Edit] Yuck. She's ugly.[/Edit]

Last edited by carpents; 09-22-2007 at 03:21 AM. Reason: Girlfriend made me do it.