Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Jax, playing hard (need pro opinions)
Posted By: HowLowCanYaGo, 09-20-2007, 10:39 PM

In case you haven't looked upon my past threads, this is Jax, my puppy. Anywho, I'm looking for semi-pro/pro eyes to give me completely honest opinions on this photo's quality- and any advice on improvement I should make next try.

While pping, I sharpened, and then put some emphasis on the blacks and color.

Thanks for looking, and check out my other shots on my Flickr, if you have a chance.
Views: 1,556
09-21-2007, 01:49 PM   #2

Cute dog! I like te photo. I think hte waterfall makes a good backdrop. While mine ae not pro eyes, I think that this photo would benefit from some cropping. The tree on the left, in particular, is distracting. I would try a crop that removes the tree, so that the watterfall fills the frame from left to right, and take out some of the foreground grass at the same time. Removing some of the grass would move Jax into the foreground of the picture, where he would anchor the photo better.

I don't have any comments on the PP. It looks good to my eye.

Chris
09-21-2007, 07:58 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Well... in my "professional" opinion I'd say the post processing was done well from what can be seen in this image size. The sharpnes is done tactfully without any noticeable little sharpening boogers. I like the heavy contrast and that is a big reason why I shoot Pentax and not the competitor. Also, the PPing has caused the image to look VERY 3D which is always a plus.

It was well done and if you like it there shouldn't be a problem. See how well it prints to get a good idea of how well you've done. I've learned that the print matters more than the what you see on the monitor.
09-22-2007, 04:31 PM   #4

Original Poster
Thanks for the suggestions. The only part I wasn't sure about was the little bit of sky...but perhaps that blue area gives the shot more life.

09-22-2007, 04:49 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
although rules are always meant to be broken, it is a good rule to follow: keep things in the photo that has something to do with the subject (or balance it in some way) and get rid of the rest.
I agree with others, it is a really good shot but can use some cropping. not too close as you would want to keep some space in front of the dog so it appears that the dog will be running in it, but don't leave to much space in front of the dog so it bores the viewer.

hope this makes sense,

cheers

a non pro >randy
09-23-2007, 11:41 AM   #6

Original Poster
slipchuck, I understand the point of cropping, but with this shot, I'm sure it won't do much good.
09-23-2007, 02:49 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Yes it will!

One thing I just noticed: I'd like the white on the ball not to be blown out. Have you checked the histogram after taking the pic? Minus half stop could have made a good diference in detail (or is it caused by PP?).

09-23-2007, 07:44 PM   #8

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ricardobeat Quote
Yes it will!

One thing I just noticed: I'd like the white on the ball not to be blown out. Have you checked the histogram after taking the pic? Minus half stop could have made a good diference in detail (or is it caused by PP?).
Well, maybe it is just me, but I appreciated the fact that the original shows the main subject NOT in the center. With the original there is a lot of room off to the left, but I don't find the backdrop the least bit distracting. The cropped version offers a smaller angle of view, where as the original shows more visually- that's just my style. It's kind of like watching a 4:3 ratio tv vs a 16:9 ratio widescreen tv.

The ball was blown out not because of the PP, but the orignal exposure while taking the shot. That also bothers me, and probably would be my only nitpick with this shot.

To all who'ev suggested opinions in this thread, thanks.