Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 12 Likes Search this Thread
2 Likes  #1
Dew Drop In - 8 Pix
Lens: DA 18-55mm II Camera: K200D Photo Location: Northern NY 
Posted By: Tamia, 11-13-2010, 06:52 AM

Sorry, I couldn't resist that title. Last week was very rainy here, and I love shooting in the rain. The landscape was saturated, and droplets of water were everywhere. Here are a few of the many shots I took...

Shades of Gray

After Cutting

An Infinity of Drops

Mullien

Silvery Grass

Tiny World

Twinned

Pine Droplets

Views: 6,431
11-13-2010, 07:36 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Excellent. How do you do this? I've tried dewdrops at least 30 times, nothing worth showing off. I got some nice shots, but just everyday pictures, and nothing where you can really tell the water drop is the subject. These are just excellent. I'm not sure even my binocular lens rig can do this. I"ll have to try it again, but last time it just didn't give me what I wanted. Might get to try today, it's looking like rain right now...
11-13-2010, 07:42 AM   #3
Veteran Member

You did this with the kit lens? Wow, impressive.
11-13-2010, 08:22 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I love them all Tamia but that first one keeps bringing me back. It is simply gorgeous.

11-13-2010, 08:30 AM   #5
Veteran Member

If that's a kit lens now I'm really jealous...

I hope you don't mind me tagging one on here, but this is to show what I meant earlier. This shot was taken a few months ago with the 50mm lens. Decent, but not even close to what you're getting. I wasn't going to show this one actually, but thought I'd give you an idea what my earlier comment was about. This is the best I've been able to capture so far, not even close to what I see above in your shots...yours stand out, this is just another snapshot...I just wish I could figure out what I'm missing...

Click image to view larger size.

Again I hope you don't mind, but then this shot will make yours look that much better anyway...

Oh and yes, I know I should have pushed the contrast a bit more, and this was taken before I got the on camera settings tweaked so I don't have to do any editing.
11-13-2010, 09:40 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

These are truly elegant shots -- every one of 'em is outstanding technically and compositionally. Really impressive.

Jer
11-13-2010, 10:04 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thank you all very much for your compliments. I've found the kit lens to be quite capable under some conditions, and wish people would give it a bit more of a try. Pete, no, I don't mind your posting the picture at all. I like it and see why you shot it, but I would probably have moved in closer if possible. I like the colors in the background, though.

I've been trying for two years to get decent droplet shots but only in the last few months did I begin to hit on it. I prefer to shoot on overcast days or in shade. I underexpose by as much as -2EV, bracketing to be sure. I usually pre-focus with MF, getting in as tight as I can to the drops, and when I hit the right spot, I gently squeeze the release while holding my breath (like with any close-up). I'm using aperture mode most often, with f8 being my typical choice. Oh, if applicable, I try to have a contrasting background, which means moving around till I can have a dark background to really show off the droplets.

When I get back to the computer, I often crop the images down to emphasize most on the best portions of the photo. PP includes the usual curves, contrast, and saturation, and sometimes I clone out distractions. If the sharpness isn't just right, I might use the unsharp mask, but you've got to be careful with it.

11-13-2010, 10:06 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Tamia, these are outstanding!!
Nr. 2 and the mosses have that wow-factor!!
11-13-2010, 04:01 PM   #9

Photos: Albums
This is just more than amazing! You should be paid by Pentax to advertise their kit lenses And............... you've just made me pick up my kit from a shelf and put it back into my photo bag Can't wait to see more of your shots!
11-13-2010, 04:32 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Ooo ... brilliant pictures :-)
11-13-2010, 04:37 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

An excellent example of shots "scene through a drop" which are sharp and clear. Well done.
11-13-2010, 06:28 PM   #12
Veteran Member

These shots are natural "Jewels", great job, I love them!
11-13-2010, 07:37 PM   #13
Forum Member

Wow, these are fantastic.

It has been pretty wet here too, and I need to take photos for my photography class tomorrow.
You have made me want to go and see what water is 'hanging' around
11-13-2010, 08:31 PM - 1 Like   #14
Veteran Member

On more than one of these, I said, audibly, "Wow." Great shots, thanks for sharing! I want to try it now!
11-13-2010, 08:35 PM - 1 Like   #15

Nr. 2 really has "it". Color, contrast and composition look really good to me. The greener leaf on the two paler ones and the tiny branch under it slightly disturb the harmony in the picture, though I can't say if it's a good or a bad thing.