Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
More Water Birds
Lens: Rokinon 75-300 Camera: K-x Photo Location: Louisiana ISO: 200 
Posted By: Paleo Pete, 11-13-2010, 08:48 AM

Went out yesterday and met up with forum member GaryH, who lives nearby. we had a good time, Gary is a very nice fellow and I'm pretty sure he got some nice shots too with his K-x.

Here's a Heron on the boat landing just before he pulled up. Backlit, and took a light bit of sharpening, also had to push the contrast about 25% since it was a little overexposed.

Click image to view larger size.

Don't know why but nothing came out really sharp, I guess my eyes were tired and my vision a bit off. Got some keepers, but nothing really good, and they all took just a little sharpening.

Here's a Pied Billed Grebe, I think Gary shot this one too. Not sure, he may have been still shooting the hawk this little guy was quickly moving away from...I only got one decent shot of the hawk, and haven't uploaded it yet.

This one took a bit of sharpening too but no other editing, just crop and resize.

Cross posted in POTW, an immature white ibis. They turn all white in their second fall, until then the young ones are easy to confuse with the Glossy ibis, but the Glossy has a dark grey bill and is all brown.

Views: 1,761
11-13-2010, 08:54 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
OOPS...almost forgot about this one, the same heron when he decided to bail just after the previous shot. No editing other than 20% sharpening, crop and resize.

11-13-2010, 09:38 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Nice shots, Pete. These guys remind me of the birds we see around here.

Jer
11-13-2010, 09:45 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Maybe you had disabled your Shake Reduction?
I know my husband had that a couple of times after working with a tripod and forgetting to able the Shake Reduction afterwards and complaining he couldn't get a picture in focus.

11-13-2010, 09:59 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks Sailor. I think all of these birds are pretty widespread in their ranges, but they congregate here in the south in winter. Herons are here year round, the Grebes are some of the first fall arrivals, I haven't seen many Ibis until last year, and then just one, but they seem to be here this fall...before long this place will be absolutely lousy with ducks, and I'll be out there freezing my butt off trying for a good shot or three...

KarenH - thanks for the tip, but shake reduction has never been turned off, even when I (rarely) use a tripod. It was just one of those days. Ever since I had to start wearing glasses to read, I've had trouble with getting clear focus sometimes, especially if I get up really early and sit in front of the computer editing the previous day's pictures for 2 hours...but I didn't do that yesterday...I think I was just a bit off for some reason.