Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
1 Like  #1
Weasel shows at last
Posted By: jpzk, 11-14-2010, 08:57 PM

Unexpectedly while taking shots of mallards, this little fellow showed up, chasing small rodents near the river shore.
I took several shots, none too good, but this one is OK, in spite of this unsightly blade of grass over its left eye!
JP

Last edited by jpzk; 10-16-2015 at 05:39 PM.
Views: 3,217
11-14-2010, 09:01 PM   #2

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Nice!
11-14-2010, 09:08 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by kaibil1 Quote
Nice!
Thanks kaibil!

JP
11-15-2010, 06:50 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I think this is a great shot - produced my first genuine smile today - super job.

Jer

11-15-2010, 06:51 AM   #5
Pentaxian

It would have been great to get a shot without the blade of grass there, but in a way, it emphasizes his characteristic behavior in his natural habitat. Curious but cautious, predatory but playful (at times, anyway). Maybe he's thinking to himself, "Hmmm, is he too big to eat?" He's already all white. Do you have snow now?
11-15-2010, 08:55 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Sailor Quote
I think this is a great shot - produced my first genuine smile today - super job.

Jer
Thans Sailor.

I am happy this made you smile!

Wildlife photography doesn' t always have to be "perfect" in the sense that it does not always need to show all detailed attributes of an animal to please the eye.

Cheers.
11-15-2010, 09:01 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Tamia Quote
It would have been great to get a shot without the blade of grass there, but in a way, it emphasizes his characteristic behavior in his natural habitat. Curious but cautious, predatory but playful (at times, anyway). Maybe he's thinking to himself, "Hmmm, is he too big to eat?" He's already all white. Do you have snow now?
Thanks Tamia.

You know, when I was trying to get a clear, unobstructed view of this very busy weasel - it just wouldn't stop for more than one or two seconds at a time - I quickly realized that it tried to "hide" while watching me.
I suppose the blades of grass were to the weasel a way to "hide behind a tree".

Yes indeed, very curious, quite fearless and playful are good descriptors of its behavior.

By the way, I've taken a series of a weasel "kill" last winter; a squirrel was the unfortunate prey.
To make a long story short, when I tried approaching closer, the weasel actually darted toward me several times in warning that I should leave it alone and go on my way.

We don't have snow yet, but the weather forecasts are for some this week, although not a large amount. We usually get snowed in earlier than that .... global warming?

Cheers.

JP
11-15-2010, 09:05 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Like Tamia says this has somehow captured how alert and slick there guys are. Great job :-)

11-15-2010, 09:23 AM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

great capture.... what a comical creature.... they are a treat to watch in action... was this it's winter white coat? (meaning does it change seasonally)... dave m
11-15-2010, 09:32 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Blade of grass or not, it's still a great shot to take, I think.
11-15-2010, 09:42 AM   #11
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by dcmsox2004 Quote
great capture.... what a comical creature.... they are a treat to watch in action... was this it's winter white coat? (meaning does it change seasonally)... dave m
Weasels' brown fur turns white in winter months so they are well camouflaged against the snow. Minks don't change color from brown to white, though, so telling the difference between them is easier in cold months.

JP, I once had a tug of war with a weasel with a red squirrel in the middle. The squirrel was struggling to extract himself from a gap between the ground and cabin where we lived, and seemed in some distress. I put on gloves (was wearing a long sleeved sweatshirt, too) and gave the squirrel a hand, literally. All I could see was his front quarters and head/face. He pulled on me as if he was stuck in quicksand, and I realized he was trying to escape from something hanging on to his other end. Finally the squirrel freed himself and ran over my arm, onto my head, and leapt to the nearby pine tree. He disappeared in a flash without a sound, uncharacteristically. Normally that fellow would chur at me. I stood there in puzzlement for a nanosecond before a weasel poked his head out of the gap under the cabin. He glowered at me only a couple feet away. Obviously he was angry that I denied him a meal, then he slunk through the pile of brush down the path and disappeared, but only after staring me down for a few minutes.
11-15-2010, 12:27 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jolepp Quote
Like Tamia says this has somehow captured how alert and slick there guys are. Great job :-)
Thanks Jolepp!

Neat little creatures!

JP
11-15-2010, 12:30 PM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by dcmsox2004 Quote
Thanks!

This is "almost" the winter coat actually.
When I first saw it, I could make out some left over brownish fur parts on the flanks and back, also behind the ears.

There is no snow cover yet but soon enough we will. I expect that the weasel will have its full-fledged winter coat by then. Give it a couple of weeks or so.

JP
11-15-2010, 12:32 PM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by KarenH Quote
Blade of grass or not, it's still a great shot to take, I think.
Thanks Karen.

It was a rather difficult shot to take actually. Had to use manual focus because no way the camera would be able to (AF) focus directly on the weasel's nose with all of those bits of grass and twigs all over!

JP
11-15-2010, 12:35 PM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Tamia Quote
Weasels' brown fur turns white in winter months so they are well camouflaged against the snow. Minks don't change color from brown to white, though, so telling the difference between them is easier in cold months.

JP, I once had a tug of war with a weasel with a red squirrel in the middle. The squirrel was struggling to extract himself from a gap between the ground and cabin where we lived, and seemed in some distress. I put on gloves (was wearing a long sleeved sweatshirt, too) and gave the squirrel a hand, literally. All I could see was his front quarters and head/face. He pulled on me as if he was stuck in quicksand, and I realized he was trying to escape from something hanging on to his other end. Finally the squirrel freed himself and ran over my arm, onto my head, and leapt to the nearby pine tree. He disappeared in a flash without a sound, uncharacteristically. Normally that fellow would chur at me. I stood there in puzzlement for a nanosecond before a weasel poked his head out of the gap under the cabin. He glowered at me only a couple feet away. Obviously he was angry that I denied him a meal, then he slunk through the pile of brush down the path and disappeared, but only after staring me down for a few minutes.
.... what a funny story!!

I just can imagine what the weasel was "thinking" when you so deliberately pulled its meal away!
The way it stared at you for a while ... it must have been considering having you for replacement meal!!
Lucky for the squirrel though ... must have been quite a nightmare for a few seconds.

Cheers.

JP