Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Dramatic or underexposed?
Posted By: Fox Three, 12-04-2006, 09:27 PM

Please comment on this photo...I've had people tell me they like it because it the sky looks dramatic. I've also had people look at it and the first thing they say is "looks underexposed". Also, what about the contrast? I believe shooting into the setting sun reduced the contrast of my DA16-45. What do you think? I'd like to get a large print of this but I wanted some input on it first.

Views: 3,370
12-04-2006, 09:53 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
My opinion is the shot works. The detail is there in the foreground, you have a strong structural element penetrating into the brighter sky. Anything more and you will lose the sky. I like it.

If you wanted, try this, Image, mode, LAB. Adjustment layer, curves, alt click on the grid background to make 10 squares each way, select light bar at bottom so it is light at lower left and dark top and right. Select a channel, move bottom of curve in one square right, move top of curve in one square left, select b channel and do the same. This will slightly richen your colors and blue up the sky a bit. If you like it merge visible layers, if you don't toss it. Convert to RGB for printing.

Last edited by clarenceclose; 12-04-2006 at 10:04 PM.
12-05-2006, 12:46 PM   #3
Veteran Member

They're all correct, in my opinion! Yes, the sky is dramatic, and yes, the foreground is a little underexposed. That said, I rather like it that way. The light sky at the top is balanced by the light water below. You could use an adjustement layer with mask to brighten up the people in the boat, and perhaps the trees, but only a tiny bit. I think the contrast adds to the drama. Nice shot!

Julie
12-05-2006, 02:19 PM   #4
Veteran Member

I like it . . . somewhat. First, I'd rotate counterclockwise to make the Tower straight. But, that's just me. I have a thing for crooked, prominent objects (optical illusion or not).

Then, and this will only work if you shot RAW . . . only the mid-ground is underexposed. The sky could even be considered 'overexposed'. The foreground (boat/Seine) are actually pretty good.

If you shot RAW, you could import three times, once for dramatic sky exposure, one for the mid-ground bridge/riverbank trees, and one for the Seine. Then, combine them into one, single image. (This is something that I'm yearning to learn how to do, and have not successfully been able to do yet. Something about 'feathering' or other.)

12-05-2006, 02:45 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Very good, several suggestions though

The overall composition is very good: the boat in the foreground leads the eye to the bridge and from there to the Eiffel Tower in the background, which is well contrasted by the bright sky in the background. Very good!

Several minor improvements are possible in my opinion:

1) There is a large water surface in the foreground making composition slightly unbalanced vertically. I would crop half way between the boat and the bottom of the frame.

2) On the far left of the bridge there is a patch of brightly lit wall leading the viewer to that detail which may be distracting. Since it is small and irrelevant to the context, I would simply crop it out.

3) Add a bit more contrast, but not at the expense of darkening the lower half: in Photoshop Levels I used 15/1.25/245.

4) There is a slight yellow cast to the clouds I chose to remove it in Photoshop using Color Balance for highlights only (check radio box!) with yellow/blue balance set to +15.

5) Optionally, to make colors richer as they probably were just before the sunset, I used Hue/Saturation increasing saturation to +20.

Here is the final result:
Attached Images

12-05-2006, 03:46 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Hmmmm...

I'd crop the top - just enough above the top of the tower so it doesn't look crowded (maybe 1" or 2 cm. on my monitor).

I also agree with the slight crop on the left, but like the bottom water- I'd keep it!
12-05-2006, 03:52 PM   #7
Veteran Member

I was going to say the same thing Tom. I think you have a we bit to much sky on the top for my taste.
12-05-2006, 04:49 PM   #8
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Perfect guys...thanks, just the kind of input I was looking for. Luckily I always shoot RAW so I have more freedom after the shot. The biggest conclusion I've drawn from all of the input is that I need to buy Photoshop. Right now I only use the controls that are available in RSP.

12-05-2006, 04:49 PM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Tom Lusk Quote
I'd crop the top - just enough above the top of the tower so it doesn't look crowded (maybe 1" or 2 cm. on my monitor).
Good point. I've tried that initially, but it looked like top of the frame is "pressing" the tower. After several attempts I just decided to leave it as is.

QuoteOriginally posted by Tom Lusk Quote
I also agree with the slight crop on the left, but like the bottom water- I'd keep it!
Bottom would look fine if there is less sky on the top. For proper balance the choices were: less water or less sky. I decided to go with less water, perhaps cropping 1/3 would suffice (I cropped 1/2 between the bottom of the frame and the boat).

This is hard to see in a scrolling window -- try looking at the full-screen in Photoshop or other image viewer with neutral background and all windows, menus and toolbars turned off, that is, only a photograph on the screen and nothing else. It is much easier to see how the eye moves around to explore the photograph.
12-05-2006, 06:36 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Fox Three Quote
Please comment on this photo...I've had people tell me they like it because it the sky looks dramatic. I've also had people look at it and the first thing they say is "looks underexposed". Also, what about the contrast? I believe shooting into the setting sun reduced the contrast of my DA16-45. What do you think? I'd like to get a large print of this but I wanted some input on it first.

I think if the photo is rendered the way it was naturally, then it is a good one.
I can tell you one thing through experence.....
Some people will think that any photos that are too dark need to be lightened, (my wife for one) even the artistic ones.
I love photos like yours that are on the dark side.... as long at there is still lots of detail, which yours definately has
Nope, I would not change it just to please someone, if you are happy with it, than that is the most important part.
PS if they say it is underexposed, just tell them that was exactly the way it looked at the time of shooting
cheers
12-06-2006, 11:45 PM   #11
Veteran Member

I agree with Slipchuck. Not every photo has to pop. I think this photo captures a nice mood. DOing PP on it can improve certain aspects of it but possibly at the cost of others.