Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Confederation Bridge & SMC K 300mm f4
Posted By: Peter Zack, 09-22-2007, 08:05 AM

Well I had the chance to be at the bottom of the Confederation Bridge early this morning, going toward Prince Edward Island today and decided to dust off the SMC K 300 f4 and give it a try. Haven't used this in awhile and forgot how good it is. (I found an AF 1.7x for a fair price so it's time to give this lens another try and can't wait till the converter comes in!)

Anyway I thought I'd post a shot, partly for the benefit of Daacon, Foxglove and anyone else who were engaged in an earlier thread with me about this bridge and how to shoot some pictures of it. It's too bloody big (13.9 kms)! I think you'd need a helicopter (which is a little outside my LBA/EBA budget right now) and a FA 20mm to get the whole thing in!

Hope you enjoy!

BTW no PP or sharpening (this lens doesn't need it), just a straight conversion from RAW to Jpeg/ISO 400 1/250, f8

Last edited by Peter Zack; 12-27-2007 at 07:03 PM.
Views: 1,602
09-22-2007, 08:21 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Thanks Peter, it's very interesting.

Do you by any chance have any photo's from the other side of the road.
I'd love to see the curve from that angle.
09-22-2007, 08:34 AM   #3
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
Stu, I didn't have time to take many today as I'm off to Newfoundland for a week (work mostly but the camera bag was the first thing packed!) I plan to take a morning (get up around 5AM and do some night shots and some early morning shots from the PEI side. The only way I can see to get most of it in is putting on some rubber boots and walk the shoreline. (this time I'll have the 12-24 with me as well) There are many mud flats there at low tide that might offer the good angles. Unfortunately there are no hills on either side to get a good overview hence the comment about the Helicopter and the bridge is about 200meters at the hight point.
09-22-2007, 08:42 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Thanks Peter. I'm looking forward to seeing what you come up with.

And I hope that the job is a good 1.

Just be careful on those mud flats. We both know what happens when people step in the wrong place, and let themselves sink in a little.

09-22-2007, 01:42 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Excellent shot Peter ! May have my own next summer who knows. That lens looks like a keeper for sure - have a good time in the 'Rock' :-) I am off to San Diego for a few day myself - business unfortunately likely not too many picture opportunities , but I will bring the K10D and my walk around 18-250 just in case.

Looking forward to some Nfld pics !
09-23-2007, 02:51 AM   #6
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Original Poster
Thanks Dave, I'm actually on the ferry to NFLD right now. (ain't technology grand!!) Too bad you didn't have an extra day or 2 to travel the coast. We've seen some great shots there and I was there some years ago and must return some day with the camera. Stunning coastline.
09-23-2007, 03:26 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Leading lines, great composition and colors, patterns and textures - definitely a winner!!!

Regards,
D

09-25-2007, 12:18 PM   #8
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Original Poster
Thanks Duh_vinci. I plan to spend a bit more time around there soon and post some more shots of this structure.
09-25-2007, 02:30 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Hi Peter, that is a nice photo, thanks for posting it. I'll give it a shot next Sunday when we head to P.E.I. for a few days.

Take care and have fun in Newfoundland.

Heinrich
09-25-2007, 05:00 PM   #10
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Heinrich Lohmann Quote
Hi Peter, that is a nice photo, thanks for posting it. I'll give it a shot next Sunday when we head to P.E.I. for a few days.

Take care and have fun in Newfoundland.

Heinrich
No grass grows under your feet Heinrich! Some day I hope to be retired and just tour around the country like you do.

I hope you enjoy the East Coast as much as I did. Take care!
09-27-2007, 09:08 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Wow, the opposite shore looks so close! Love the way those long lenses foreshorten. Too bad about the ugly chainlink, but they sure didn't provide a lot of viewing points, did they? I think you're winning in the duelling flink photos.

Julie