Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Red Bulls Airshow San Diego
Posted By: LaRee, 09-23-2007, 11:35 AM

On Thursday I was on Coronado Island to check out the Red Bull pilots practicing and on Friday I spent the whole day there from 9am till 5:30pm.
The show didn't get under way until 2:30pm but there were plenty of photographers setting up. Some got there at 5am! On the island was not the "official" spot for the show. It was downtown San Diego on the embarcadero. But for photography, the island was a better spot. At least the sun was behind us. If we'd been on the S.D. embarcadero side, we'd been shooting straight into the sun. I had so much fun in this group of photographers. There was even a guy there shooting with a *istD.
Here are a couple shots and I'll post a link to the gallery I put up. I can't say I got any WOW shots, but I did have fun and came away with some acceptable images.

The most amazing thing I saw today was the Red Bull helicopter pictured above. It was doing back flips and barrel rolls!! I've never seen anything like it. It is a special built helicopter, you couldn't do this with just any helicopter that is for sure.

I know I put up probably too many photos in my gallery. And I know the helicopter ones are redundant probably. But I was so thrilled with the show! And I am sure in my excitement I've probably overlooked (and not even looked) at some photos that should be put up. My brother and sister who couldn't be at the show called to thank me for putting the photos up, so that made me feel good. ;-)
Anyway, here is the link to the gallery should you care to visit. You will see different perspectives and that helicopter on it's head.
Zenfolio | LaRee | Red Bull Airshow

It really was quite a show. I loved when the military helicopter dropped the Navy seals into the water and then picked them up by rope and flew them across and away from the bay. Those Navy seals are TOUGH!
Views: 2,456
09-23-2007, 11:45 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I attended the Red Bull Air Race in Interlaken and know how difficult it is. You managed the situation well. Very nice shots. Thank you for sharing.
09-23-2007, 12:10 PM   #3
Inactive Account

Nice shots! I like the 3rd one with the orange/black plane and what looks like an MD 80 with gear down in the background.
09-23-2007, 12:30 PM   #4
Syb
Veteran Member

If these are no more than acceptable to you, you are very critical about your work. I like the images a lot. Especially the one with the airliner in the background and the one with the chopper upside down. The story of you having fun makes it all complete. Maybe when they'll come to the Netherlands (been in Rotterdam some times) I'll go!

Syb

09-23-2007, 06:07 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Hey Dominique

QuoteOriginally posted by tcom Quote
I attended the Red Bull Air Race in Interlaken and know how difficult it is. You managed the situation well. Very nice shots. Thank you for sharing.
It is the images that I saw of yours from the Red Bull Air Race in Interlaken that I was aspiring to. None of mine hold up to your captures, which are really outstanding. It isn't easy. After 120 minutes of swinging the k10d and Bigma around tracking those planes I was a bit tuckered out. Your comment is very kind and means a lot. Thank you!
09-23-2007, 06:12 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thank you Jeff and Syb. I think part of my lukewarm feeling is from going through over 400 photos last night and processing them. My sensor is a mess. Lots of dust spot cloning in my pp yesterday which gets tedious! I really need to get some of the eclipse sensor swabs. I went to my local Ritz Camera and they didn't have anything! I think they assume you'll send your DSLR in for cleaning. So I guess I have to order on-line and wait for ground shipping as eclipse 2 can't be shipped airmail.
Thank you again for taking the time to post, I really appreciate it.
09-24-2007, 01:03 AM   #7
Veteran Member

A free show on computer monitor here. Great weather with great captures of these planes in motion.

Well done, LaRee

09-24-2007, 07:45 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by roentarre Quote
A free show on computer monitor here. Great weather with great captures of these planes in motion.

Well done, LaRee
Thank you kindly Sir!
09-24-2007, 09:52 PM   #9
Pentaxian

Hi LaRee:

I was there on the Marina North Peninsula, and it was difficult shooting as everything was backlit. And the diffused smoke did not help.

Your shots are excellent.
09-24-2007, 10:53 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by SpecialK Quote
Hi LaRee:

I was there on the Marina North Peninsula, and it was difficult shooting as everything was backlit. And the diffused smoke did not help.

Your shots are excellent.
Thank you Kyle, and so are yours! I really enjoyed your galleries. I found your air show shots and I enjoyed seeing the show from a different view. You have some wonderful shots of the show. I am really surprised that you made that sun angle work but you did. At least I had the sun behind me, but you are right the smoke obscured and challenged. By the end of the races I was wishing that I could shoot the jets coming toward me between the four pillars instead of away.
I did have a lot of fun. I enjoyed the company of the other photographers in the area. Neat group of guys. One guy cracked me up, he'd actually take his camera off his tripod to pass it around to show the shot he just got. There were pilots and plenty of retired service men who were a wealth of information that enriched the show for me.
09-25-2007, 07:50 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Nice shots! The airliner in the background reminds me how much I used to hate flying into that airport.