Posted By: jsherman999, 11-21-2010, 10:12 PM

f/1.8 ISO 6400 1/100s

f/1.8 ISO 6400 1/40s

The Sheriff arrives

Views: 3,363
11-21-2010, 10:55 PM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The first shot gets lots of "cute" points and is really funny. The one with 3 heads and ears at the door also makes those critters look a lot more fun than the garbage can wreckers I am used to. Great shots, thanks for posting.
11-22-2010, 05:44 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Terrific - brought a smile to my face this early morning.

Jer
11-22-2010, 05:53 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Hahahahaha, I laughed hard in the first one. Thumbs up!

They are kinda like those things here:

IMGP0418 por hcarvalhoalves, no Flickr

11-22-2010, 07:10 AM   #5
Veteran Member

That is to cute. Glad they are on the outside. LOL
11-22-2010, 08:02 AM   #6
Veteran Member

I realy like the last 2 ones
11-22-2010, 08:41 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

great capture(s) !!! love the '3 stooges' shot..... they are comical characters... always lookin' out for an easy meal...... dave m

11-22-2010, 08:43 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
These made my day a bit brighter too. Thanks for sharing :-)
11-22-2010, 09:06 AM   #9

Photos: Albums
so funny
11-22-2010, 10:02 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thx all! Visiting in-laws, and my mother-in-law feeds those little buggers on her back deck.
11-23-2010, 11:38 PM   #11
Veteran Member

I used to have a racoon as a pet about 10 years ago. Bottle-fed it from a tiny baby and raised it until it was a full grown racoon. Had it for about 5-6 years and released it back into the woods after it proved that it could go out and find food on its own.

It would sit on the couch and watch TV with you, and understood commands just like a dog. They are very smart animals. Alot of people don't give them the credit they deserve and see them as trash wrecking rodents.
11-24-2010, 11:13 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by r0ckstarr Quote
I used to have a racoon as a pet about 10 years ago. Bottle-fed it from a tiny baby and raised it until it was a full grown racoon. Had it for about 5-6 years and released it back into the woods after it proved that it could go out and find food on its own.

It would sit on the couch and watch TV with you, and understood commands just like a dog. They are very smart animals. Alot of people don't give them the credit they deserve and see them as trash wrecking rodents.

Frankly, they're hard to dislike. They are pretty smart, are cute, and can open stuff up with surprising dexterity. They never seem to really be aggressive towards cats, dogs or people (that I've seen) and really just want to find a bite to eat.

Effectively, they are pests to your household - but I can't really blame them. We humans leave a lot of wasted food around in places where a smart little animal has no problem getting to.

These were taken at my in-law's place, but we have them visit our place too, and they'll eat pet food, come in the garage if it's left open, come on the deck to forage for scraps, etc. They'll run up a tree if I open the back deck door, and my 3-year old has instructed me to 'be nice to them dada!' when he saw them do that. (both he and the 10-month old love the critters.)

11-24-2010, 05:21 PM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jsherman999 Quote

Frankly, they're hard to dislike. They are pretty smart, are cute, and can open stuff up with surprising dexterity.
When I had mine, I tied a rope into a bunch of knots and put a bicycle tire at one end. I tied the other end to the roof overhang of the outside patio. I thought the racoon could make use of it as some sort of toy. The very next morning when I came outside, she had untied every single knot, and left the rope sitting on the floor. I was pretty surprised to find it like that.

Everytime I fed her, she would go over to her bowl of water and wash off the food before she ate it.
QuoteOriginally posted by jsherman999 Quote

Effectively, they are pests to your household - but I can't really blame them. We humans leave a lot of wasted food around in places where a smart little animal has no problem getting to.
Don't forget, we built our houses where they used to live. So, it's only natural.
11-24-2010, 08:12 PM   #14

Excellent capture, thanks.
11-24-2010, 08:37 PM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

These are great, Jsherman! I enjoyed your and Brian's discussion about raccoons and it reminded me of a family of them who lived in the woods which were just behind the cabin we lived in overlooking a lake. The cabin was perched on a slope, with a large pine growing about 10" away from the side of the place. I had extended the windowsill with a shelf to birdseed outside the picture window of the living room.

One warm night as we watched television, we heard a noise coming from the window. A raccoon had climbed the tree and sat on the shelf eating seeds as if it was popcorn as he watched the television. If we went to the window he'd climb the tree to the edge of the pool of light and stare down at us. When we went away from the window he'd return to his easy chair till he grew bored with the show (and had eaten the seed) and climbed back down to go about his other business. Very engaging and intelligent animals, they never were destructive at all, just curious about us and how we lived.