Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Stalking the Stalkers
Lens: Sigma 70-200mm F3.8 Camera: Kx Photo Location: Northern Colorado ISO: 200 
Posted By: Colorado CJ, 11-21-2010, 10:15 PM

I went hiking today in the high country.

I came up on some prints and decided to follow them. Turned out to be a small pack of coyotes.

I quietly followed along about 50 yds behind them to see where they were going. They haven't seen me yet.

There are 3 I can see, but I think there are a couple more ahead of these

Darn, one of them saw me

It turns out the coyotes were stalking a small herd of elk. Just after the coyote spotted me, I seen the elk in a small bowl. One of the coyotes was still staring at the heard in the bushes (just to the left of this picture).

Well, that's it for now. I need to work on being more quiet in the future. It would have been nice to get up to the elk heard and sit for a while waiting and seeing what the coyotes would do.

BTW, I did have a hefty Manfrotto Monopod to use as a weapon if the coyotes turned on me

Last edited by Colorado CJ; 11-21-2010 at 10:26 PM.
Views: 1,466
11-22-2010, 11:47 AM   #2

Awesome! What an experience that must have been! Love RMNP, one of favorite places.
11-22-2010, 07:34 PM   #3

Beautiful! What an inspiring day, and some great shots!
11-22-2010, 07:52 PM   #4
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Indeed, beautiful!

Thanks for posting this great series

11-23-2010, 08:30 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
These shots are terrific! And the story to go with them too. Why don't I live in Colorado???

Did you do anything special to protect your Kx in the snow? I'm going on a backpacking trip in TN over New Year's and last year it got to 15 degrees and snowy. I'm planning on bringing my Kx this year (didn't have one last year).
11-23-2010, 01:14 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Great pictures! There's a Nikon guy on Flickr that I follow that shoots coyotes around Morraine Park a lot. Alas! I've never been able to find any while I was there. Oh well, at least I get to experience it vicariously through better wildlife photographers like you and him!