Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
  #1
yeatzee's macro's: Phidippus adumbratus
Lens: M 50mm F/1.7 Camera: K-7 
Posted By: yeatzee, 11-24-2010, 10:37 AM

Look what I found in my archives! I seem to have forgotten about hundreds of perfectly fine macro's waiting to be stacked and edited Here's the first of them to see the light




2 images stacked from the old CD shoot
Views: 2,132
11-24-2010, 10:40 AM   #2
Veteran Member




Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Finland
Photos: Albums
Posts: 3,196
Very nice, also reminds me to be glad that these guys aren't much bigger than this :-)
11-24-2010, 10:45 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Rense's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Zetten - The Netherlands
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 8,930
Tanner, this is about the best I've seen from you!
You know I dig such backgrounds, but now I am
anxious to know how you did it!!
11-24-2010, 11:18 AM   #4
Veteran Member
yeatzee's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Temecula
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 3,675
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jolepp Quote
Very nice, also reminds me to be glad that these guys aren't much bigger than this :-)
Thanks! Yes, considering what mine (I keep a couple as pets) will tackle, even one the size of my toy rat terrier would be a threat to us humans

QuoteOriginally posted by Rense Quote
Tanner, this is about the best I've seen from you!
You know I dig such backgrounds, but now I am
anxious to know how you did it!!
Thanks Rense! Its VERY easy A CD and some colored paper

11-24-2010, 12:41 PM   #5
Veteran Member
miss_alexx's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Montréal, Québec
Photos: Albums
Posts: 584
Amazing. I like your work a lot.
11-24-2010, 01:24 PM   #6
Veteran Member
Timtast1c's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: San Francisco, CA
Posts: 330
love it! is this the photo stacking method that i've heard now and then? with multiple images taken at differing DOF? excellent work!
11-24-2010, 01:53 PM   #7
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter
Ash's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Toowoomba, Queensland
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 23,289
Bring it on Tanner!
You rock with your macros.
Your PP work is also spot on.
Thanks for sharing this fine result.
11-24-2010, 04:52 PM   #8
Pentaxian
Digitalis's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Adelaide.
Posts: 9,523
very impressive. however, i'm looking at the reflections and there are parts of the spider that are in focus in the mirror image, but out of focus on the subject itself.

you did well with the lighting.

11-24-2010, 05:26 PM   #9
Veteran Member
yeatzee's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Temecula
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 3,675
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by miss_alexx Quote
Amazing. I like your work a lot.
Thanks! I've been loving your highspeed work on flickr!

QuoteOriginally posted by iceemn360 Quote
love it! is this the photo stacking method that i've heard now and then? with multiple images taken at differing DOF? excellent work!
Yes, it is two different images combined with different focusing points

QuoteOriginally posted by Ash Quote
Bring it on Tanner!
You rock with your macros.
Your PP work is also spot on.
Thanks for sharing this fine result.
Thanks ash!

QuoteOriginally posted by Digitalis Quote
very impressive. however, i'm looking at the reflections and there are parts of the spider that are in focus in the mirror image, but out of focus on the subject itself.

you did well with the lighting.
And vice versa I don't know the science behind it, I just know that I would have had to take a picture of the spiders abdomen in focus to get the reflection spider's eyes in focus

Thanks btw!
11-24-2010, 06:01 PM   #10
Pentaxian
Digitalis's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Adelaide.
Posts: 9,523
QuoteOriginally posted by yeatzee Quote
And vice versa I don't know the science behind it, I just know that I would have had to take a picture of the spiders abdomen in focus to get the reflection spider's eyes in focus

it's actually quite simple really, when you are focusing on a mirror you are actually focusing in a virtual image, as i'm sure you know a mirror reflects light, but what most people don't know is that the light reflected from the mirror is travelling twice the distance that the subject is standing on it.

I'll give you a practical example: if you stand in front of a mirror and focus on the physical plane of the mirror, your reflection will be out of focus. But if you focus on your reflection you will be focusing on an image that is optically twice the distance you are standing from the mirror.

I hope this helps.
11-24-2010, 06:04 PM   #11
Veteran Member
yeatzee's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Temecula
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 3,675
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Digitalis Quote
it's actually quite simple really, when you are focusing on a mirror you are actually focusing in a virtual image, as i'm sure you know a mirror reflects light, but what most people don't know is that the light reflected from the mirror is travelling twice the distance that the subject is standing on it.

I'll give you a practical example: if you stand in front of a mirror and focus on the physical plane of the mirror, your reflection will be out of focus. But if you focus on your reflection you will be focusing on a virtual image is optically twice the distance you are standing from the mirror.

I hope this helps.
Makes sense

But yeah, having a random patch in focus on the back of the spider to get more in focus on the reflection was a no go for me, and I knew I could not get more images to focus stack as this was a very active jumper
11-24-2010, 06:05 PM   #12
Pentaxian
Digitalis's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Adelaide.
Posts: 9,523
QuoteOriginally posted by yeatzee Quote
Makes sense

But yeah, having a random patch in focus on the back of the spider to get more in focus on the reflection was a no go for me, and I knew I could not get more images to focus stack as this was a very active jumper

with focus stacking it would probably be best to avoid mirrors

the subject itself is marvellous.
11-24-2010, 07:04 PM   #13
Veteran Member
yeatzee's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Temecula
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 3,675
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Digitalis Quote
with focus stacking it would probably be best to avoid mirrors

the subject itself is marvellous.
for the record, its actually a CD
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
camera, photo
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Macro Yeatzee's macro's: First water droplet attempt! yeatzee Post Your Photos! 15 11-14-2010 08:46 AM
Macro yeatzee's macro's: New flash diffuser - Jumping spider yeatzee Post Your Photos! 23 10-19-2010 10:43 AM
Macro Yeatzee's macro's - Adult jumping spider yeatzee Post Your Photos! 10 09-29-2010 07:03 PM
Macro Phidippus adumbratus (jumping spider) yeatzee Post Your Photos! 8 09-26-2010 10:39 PM
Macro Jumping spider (Phidippus Audax) yeatzee Post Your Photos! 8 06-09-2010 03:23 PM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 04:55 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top