Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Morning commute
Posted By: regken, 12-05-2006, 09:31 AM

Some morning commutes are more serene than others. Shot with the 135mm f3.5.
Would love to get some critics on everything from composition to PP.
Thanks,
Ken

Last edited by regken; 12-11-2006 at 03:20 PM.
Views: 1,552
12-05-2006, 10:15 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Good capture, compo is OK, would have liked to have seen more of the surroundings to put him in context better, top of boats cropped off. Looks a little bright on PP. Might bring up the black point a bit more. I realize the biggest objects in the photo are white but the color seems a bit washed out too. I do like the theme and caption.
12-05-2006, 10:34 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks Clarence. I reposted the photo. Is this more like what you ment? Did manage to cut off the top of the boats, need to shoot another one to correct that. Also sent you an email.
Thanks,
ken
12-05-2006, 11:10 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Is that guy rowing 'backward'? Maybe his boat does not have a 'pointy end' (or a 'bow' for those who understand nautical jargon).

As to a critique of your image, to me, the contrast seems a tad high. And, it is an optical illusion, but I'd try to rotate the image a few degrees counter-clockwise (to make the gunwale more in line with a precieved horizon). It's pretty level now, but the composition of the boats in the background and the wave ripple pattern make the rower appear as if he is rowing 'uphill'.

12-05-2006, 11:49 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Steve, Thanks. You are right, it was off by 1.4 degrees. I reduced the contrast a little and straightened it. Better? BTW every lobsterman I know rows their dingy that way. There must be a reason, I'll have to ask.
Thanks,
Ken
12-05-2006, 12:07 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Ken,

I like it better now. Not so hot on the eyes. Good job with the context too.

I think they are rowing that way because they can see where they are going, though it must be only for short distances.

From you past posts it looks as if you are in an excellent location for lots of photo subjects.
12-05-2006, 02:10 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Looks pretty good now. If you 'measure' the gunwale line at the bow and stern of the rowboat, you will see that it is not 'level', but in the background, the red waterline stripe on 'Gramps Bird' as well as the lines on the 'My Sker E.' are in fact horizontal. The image looks more 'balanced' now.

On contrast, I'd love to see all three versions to compare side-by-side. However, the contrast on your latest version does not overwhelm me anymore. Still a lot of contrast in the water, but that might be due to sharpening that you applied. Not much that can be done about that, unless you want to mask the water and apply a bluring filter to just the water surface. Probably not worth it . . . unless you are planning on giving the fisherman a print to hang on his wall at home.

12-05-2006, 03:02 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks Clarence and Steve!!! The more I can get you guys to make suggestions, the faster I'll become a little better at this.
Regards,
ken