Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
First time with a dSLR
Posted By: CJCram, 09-24-2007, 09:37 PM

I borrowed my Dad's K100D for our vacation. I used the kit lens and most of the pictures were on auto or scene modes (just learning!). Here are a few of my favourite shots- please feel free to comment(I need to work on exposure I think)! I'll be getting my own dSLR (K10) in a couple of months, so I'm trying to learn how to take a good photo

Sunset at Terrace Beach

Through the forest

Starfish (this one was cropped from the original, about 50%)

A big tree

Out at the farm

Prairie

Just an old tire

Views: 2,295
09-24-2007, 10:19 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
The sunset is beautiful.
You couldn't do anything to improve it.

I'm not big on the starfish.
I tried seeing if I could do anything in processing, but it just isn't my thing.
I would prefer to see just 1 or 2.

I really like the big tree as well.

I'm really looking forward to seeing what your work is like with the K10 when you get it
09-25-2007, 03:38 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
You have a good eye for composition. Looking forward to watching you grow as a photographer. You are certainly off to a good start.
09-25-2007, 04:18 AM   #4
Inactive Account

I like the sunset most of all, but also the sepia toned farm shot and the old tire shot. Nice compositions, you have a good eye for it.

09-25-2007, 07:10 AM   #5
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thanks! I can't wait to get my camera, it makes me sad that I'm missing all of the fall season .

I think I like the starfish because I had never seen them before, lol! I only had a 200mm lens and we couldn't get any closer (we were on a whale watching trip). I did get a cool whale photo, I cropped it a bit though. It was foggy/drizzly that day out on the Pacific near Ucluelet. It's a humpback.

And I forgot about this one, one of my favourites!

09-25-2007, 08:00 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
A truly beautiful sunset. I like the "big tree" and "out at the farm" ones also. Good compositions. I like the idea of the "prairie" one but it doesn't quite work for me. The near blades of grass don't quite seem in focus. Is it b/w or some other effect? Perhaps colour may have worked better with this subject. Nice shot of the whale. We took a walk along the coastal path near Ucluelet during our first trip to Canada back in June 2005. We were amazed when a whale surfaced close to the shore. It all happened too quickly to get a photo though. It's a great location for whale spotting. I must have a photo of that same lighthouse somewhere.

Paul
09-25-2007, 08:06 AM   #7
Pentaxian

A nice series of images. I really like the sunset, it's perfect. The first farm picture is interesting too with the sepia toning and nice contrasts in the clouds.
09-25-2007, 12:57 PM   #8
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I don't see any starfish. I see a nice group of sea stars. Lol.

I like you photos. Nice compositions and good post processing.

09-25-2007, 01:15 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Like most I think the Sunset, Sepia and Lighthouse shots are outstanding BUT, and this might be just me - the focussing is a little off - I think those in the know would call it "soft". Me, I'm just an amateur and have been for 40+ years, so I could be wrong.
09-25-2007, 02:16 PM   #10
Forum Member

Original Poster
Hmm.. That's interesting! I was using auto focus, took the pictures as JPEG and I just did some basic post-processing in iPhoto. I guess I'll have to wait and see when I get my new camera. I want to use old lenses so I'll have to learn how to focus manually! Thanks