Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Camaro
Lens: Sears 28mm 2.8 Camera: Samsung GX20 ISO: 100 Shutter Speed: 1/200s Aperture: F8 
Posted By: tackyat.2, 11-28-2010, 08:04 PM

Took this one a while ago at a local car show. Thoughts?
Views: 1,776
11-29-2010, 06:18 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Nice detail shot - well framed and exposed, which is not always easy with relfective cars displayed outside in a show. I don't remember a 427 being available in a Camaro in the late '60's - but my memory ain't what it used to be.

Jer
11-29-2010, 07:29 AM   #3
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Sailor Quote
Nice detail shot - well framed and exposed, which is not always easy with relfective cars displayed outside in a show. I don't remember a 427 being available in a Camaro in the late '60's - but my memory ain't what it used to be.

Jer

Very nice shot. The 427 was available in the late 60's, although it wasn't in the adverts or brochures.

It was a COPO ....Central Office Production Order...not very common.
11-29-2010, 03:52 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Forget the photo........AWESOME CAR!!!!!
Even in Aus, we know all about the COPO.
I've got a very limited edition book on Copos written by Edward Cunneen, detailing them all, with all the special parts etc....the book was used as a reference in the restoration of a ZL1 aluminium 427 engined car raced with huge succcess in Australia by Bob Jane, who imported two of these cars.
Cheers, Pickles.

12-01-2010, 08:03 PM   #5

Original Poster
Bad luck with those servers and posts. Fortunately, I have instant email updates on this thread, so I have your lost posts.

---Quote (Originally by pickles)---
I've got a very limited edition book on Copos written by Edward Cunneen, detailing them all, with all the special parts etc....the book was used as a reference in the restoration of a ZL1 aluminium 427 engined car raced with huge succcess in Australia by Bob Jane, who imported two of these cars.
Cheers, Pickles.
---End Quote---
We had a COPO car in my town in the late '60's...street car.... a Chevy Nova, with 396 engine badges.....but the word was that it was a COPO car, ordered from a Chicago dealer....had a 427, but the owner put 396 engine signs...make it a sleeper. Same block...bigger bore.

It ran @ the drags, vs a '68 Dodge RT 426 Hemi.....the 427 beat the Hemi by about 2/10th of a second in the 1/4 mile....after that...we all knew for sure that it was running a 427.... not the 'as advertised' 396.

I had a '67 Camaro back then....RS coupe, disappearing headlights, 4 speed Muncie, wide oval red line tires , 327 V8...great car...would move fast.....but had 9.5 inch drum brakes....

Les

---Quote (Originally by lesmore49)---
We had a COPO car in my town in the late '60's...street car.... a Chevy Nova, with 396 engine badges.....but the word was that it was a COPO car, ordered from a Chicago dealer....had a 427, but the owner put 396 engine signs...make it a sleeper. Same block...bigger bore.

It ran @ the drags, vs a '68 Dodge RT 426 Hemi.....the 427 beat the Hemi by about 2/10th of a second in the 1/4 mile....after that...we all knew for sure that it was running a 427.... not the 'as advertised' 396.

I had a '67 Camaro back then....RS coupe, disappearing headlights, 4 speed Muncie, wide oval red line tires , 327 V8...great car...would move fast.....but had 9.5 inch drum brakes....

Les
---End Quote---
You are a VERY lucky man to have been living in the US in those days to actually sample the "muscle car days". I can only dream.....& I do!
I mean cruising down Route 66 in a Corvette, or cruising the streets in a Dodge Challenger 426 R/T Hemi......GEEZ.....HOW COULD YOU BEAT THAT?!!!
Cheers, Pickles.

---Quote (Originally by lesmore49)---
Very nice shot. The 427 was available in the late 60's, although it wasn't in the adverts or brochures.

It was a COPO ....Central Office Production Order...not very common.
---End Quote---

---Quote (Originally by pickles)---
Cheers, Pickles.
---End Quote---
I certainly don't want to "forget the photo" - I think it's great

However, I do appreciate you guys jogging my ancient memory cells regarding COPO. I drove Mustangs in the late '60's and didn't pay too much attention to Chevy until I bought my first Camaro in '71. I think Ford had a similar program and selectively offered the side-oiler 427 in some Fairlanes and Comets.

Jer
12-01-2010, 08:04 PM   #6

Original Poster
I would also like to thank you all for your interesting conversation!

I appreciate the complements as well.