Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
It's impossible to shoot birds under without a 600mm L lens and Canon AF
Lens: M200/4 Camera: K-x 
Posted By: jaieger, 11-29-2010, 12:47 AM

Unless, of course, you don't need the camera and lens to do all the work for you!
So my dad and I drove up to Squamish today to go eagle watching. Well, they certainly weren't hard to find! Every 5 minutes' walk along the trail, there was another bald eagle perched on a tree; plenty flew by overhead. A few were even camped out right ontop of the parking lot!

These were all taken from a tripod (sometimes with the legs not bent out, so monopod style), some were focussed in the viewfinder and others I went to live view to fine tune them. They're not as sharp as I'd like them to be (my FA50 and DA40 have definitely been spoiling me there!), and there's enough CA to feed a small country, but it doesn't matter much to me considering I've been obsessed with eagles since I was a little kid - I remember writing an essay about em in 7th grade - and today I got to go within 20 feet of some wild ones. And to think I'm heading towards marine biology now :ugh:

Anyways, without further ado, several different birds from what appears to be the same tree in various poses!

(yes, I'm well aware of the dust spot in this one)

Also got a chance to play around with my new DA15 a bit, but didn't use it as much as I'd hoped to. Long lenses were the name of the game, today.

Thanks for looking!

Last edited by jaieger; 12-01-2010 at 06:56 PM.
Views: 2,389
11-29-2010, 01:53 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I really like the second to last shot. very good composition...that river just leads you into the picture..well done
11-29-2010, 05:12 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Oh my there's is a touch of CA isn't there... Great shots though! I had a M200/f4 in a previous life and it's great lens, especially considering the price and size!

I particularly love the first of the landscape shots!
11-29-2010, 06:35 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks for the comments!

Absolutely, it definitely is a great deal. That said, I'm hoping the F 70-210 will be even better! ; D

11-29-2010, 07:47 PM   #5
Millionth Poster!
Site Supporter

beautiful shots of a magnificent bird
11-30-2010, 06:33 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Quite a thrill to have so many eagles in one place! Nice shots of the birds. The landscapes are beautiful, and I like the equisetum and droplet as well. Beautiful part of the country there in WA.
12-01-2010, 06:56 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks for the very kind comments!

And @Tamia, indeed - even better, peak season isn't until late December/Early January! Definitely heading back then. Also, this is in BC, in a little country called Canadiania

« Dredger | Edinburgh »