Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Photo Shoot Part 1 (classy outfits)
Posted By: codiac2600, 09-26-2007, 07:13 AM

Here is the first part of the photo shoot up and ready for everyone. All of these shots were taken with nice outfits and some classic poses and for fun we tossed in some more exciting stuff. All shot in my basement studio which consists of a portable backdrop, couple of constant lights (Cool light 16's) and my AF 540 and 360 used as wireless strobes.

This shoot was a real kick and we had lots of fun and I can totally say this is some of my best work hands down. All shot with my precious K10D that is now just over 50,000 actuations and still kicking.

I would love to hear some C&C on these and they can be critical if you feel and I'll always take the basic comments as well so don't be shy. If you have any questions on these shots I'm always down for giving a step by step so don;t be afraid to ask.

I hope you all enjoy and have a great day.

[IMG]http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1158/1441413586_c51b313cb5.jpg?v=0/IMG]

Views: 2,346
09-26-2007, 07:21 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Round 2:

Thats all of the classy stuff, the next round will feature these outfits which I will make sure to add an explicit rating so parents with children don't get mad at me for posting pics with people in their under-garments.
09-26-2007, 07:28 AM   #3
Inactive Account

Photo 5 in the first post isn't exactly a classy pose!

Great skin tones - your portraits are always high quality.
09-26-2007, 08:01 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by bonovox Quote

My exact sentiment. #5 is Not a flattering pose at all, not even alluring. Have to say that the rest are very nice and it looks like you and the model both had fun. Well done!

09-26-2007, 08:09 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Thanks for sending me her phone number in that PM Chris

Fine looking model, and you have some nice poses there.

Just an idea, but how about getting a fine young lady to start off acting shy, and work her way into an animal. Showing the progression.

I'm about to shut my computer off, so I won't be able to see anything else or read any comments until late Sunday or Monday
09-26-2007, 08:48 AM   #6
Inactive Account

Some really good shots here! All nicely well lit and well exposed. You've shot with her before, if I'm not mistaken.... looks like you're developing some good chemistry.
09-26-2007, 09:07 AM   #7
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Chris, those look fantastic! Nice use of light. What did you use to modify the background light? Looks like a grid. Well done.

09-26-2007, 09:41 AM   #8
and
Veteran Member

Very nice and I always love to see well lit shots. I will mention some things that I would have tried out myself if I was there doing that shoot.
1. subjective perhaps, I think the dark bakground and the black clothes take away a lot of pop / gives less seperation from the background (dress vs background).
3 things I would have experimented with>
#1> put a gel on the background light and up the power on it, grey or black backgrounds give very saturated vivid colors when gelled and this would seperate the black dress. and you have lots of colors to play with
#2> add a hair light, a third light on a boom above the model pointing down, or on a stand next to her, high up and aimed down with a grid spot (u can use diy grids for your 360)
#3> cross lighting, aim a strobe at her back to get a rim light/seperation light to help distinquish that black dress from the background.

Those are 3 suggestions for achieving the same thing.. so either one can be tried, altho they can also be combined.

mind you I am no expert, I am just saying what I would have done myself, if not for anything else than trying it and seeing what I got.

your spotlight on the background is helping to seperate the head area from the background, but especially with her dark roots, a hairlight does a much nicer job. (the two can be combined).

thanks for sharing these
09-26-2007, 09:53 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by bonovox Quote

Great skin tones - your portraits are always high quality.
It was a classy out fit with a fun pose

Thank you and the lighting was exceptional because it was all balanced at or near the same colour temperature.

QuoteOriginally posted by MRRiley Quote
My exact sentiment. #5 is Not a flattering pose at all, not even alluring. Have to say that the rest are very nice and it looks like you and the model both had fun. Well done!
We did have a lot of fun and thank you. Some of the poses were just fun and crazy stuff. We took turns deciding on stuff and it became very fluid.

QuoteOriginally posted by little laker Quote
Thanks for sending me her phone number in that PM Chris

Fine looking model, and you have some nice poses there.

Just an idea, but how about getting a fine young lady to start off acting shy, and work her way into an animal. Showing the progression.

I'm about to shut my computer off, so I won't be able to see anything else or read any comments until late Sunday or Monday
LOL, thanks Stu and I hope it works out between you two

QuoteOriginally posted by hamidlmt Quote
Some really good shots here! All nicely well lit and well exposed. You've shot with her before, if I'm not mistaken.... looks like you're developing some good chemistry.
Thank you Hamid and you are very correct, we have shot together before but her friend was also there in most of the other shots.

QuoteOriginally posted by davemdsn Quote
Chris, those look fantastic! Nice use of light. What did you use to modify the background light? Looks like a grid. Well done.
Thank you David and I snoot my 360 through a home made soft snoot (glued straws) to give it a softer effect than bare bulb. I'm going to purchase something more secure hopefully, but it will do for now.
09-26-2007, 10:10 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by and Quote
Very nice and I always love to see well lit shots. I will mention some things that I would have tried out myself if I was there doing that shoot.
1. subjective perhaps, I think the dark bakground and the black clothes take away a lot of pop / gives less seperation from the background (dress vs background).
3 things I would have experimented with>
#1> put a gel on the background light and up the power on it, grey or black backgrounds give very saturated vivid colors when gelled and this would seperate the black dress. and you have lots of colors to play with
#2> add a hair light, a third light on a boom above the model pointing down, or on a stand next to her, high up and aimed down with a grid spot (u can use diy grids for your 360)
#3> cross lighting, aim a strobe at her back to get a rim light/seperation light to help distinquish that black dress from the background.

Those are 3 suggestions for achieving the same thing.. so either one can be tried, altho they can also be combined.

mind you I am no expert, I am just saying what I would have done myself, if not for anything else than trying it and seeing what I got.

your spotlight on the background is helping to seperate the head area from the background, but especially with her dark roots, a hairlight does a much nicer job. (the two can be combined).

thanks for sharing these
I wish I had a different background, but I really love what I can do with black. Use direct light to make it gray and separate or keep it dark and make the model float in darkness.

I do like your recommendations and I also received one from my boss to add a strobe from behind the background unit snooted to hit her hair and shoulders for a nice effect and separation. I do need a second 540 so this is going to be added to studio in the near future.
09-26-2007, 10:45 AM   #11
and
Veteran Member

Black doesnt mean bad. Get yourself a rosco gel pack and try out gelling that background, you can get a very vivid color effect that looks great. its something to try and those gels are not expensive.

Dean Collins talks about this on his dvd, on this page there is a little preview clip from this dvd where you can see some examples of this. Software Cinema Photoshop and Design Training - Photoshop Tutorials and Tips
09-26-2007, 05:03 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by and Quote
Black doesnt mean bad. Get yourself a rosco gel pack and try out gelling that background, you can get a very vivid color effect that looks great. its something to try and those gels are not expensive.

Dean Collins talks about this on his dvd, on this page there is a little preview clip from this dvd where you can see some examples of this. Software Cinema Photoshop and Design Training - Photoshop Tutorials and Tips
Just added the gel packs to my to purchase list and I do have some gel inserts for my whaletail diffuser to try as well.