Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Photo Shoot Part 3 (NC-17 images)
Posted By: codiac2600, 09-26-2007, 10:52 AM

These are little more revealing yet somewhat tasteful so I put them in a separate section so parents don't open these in front of children and get angry at me even though these are nothing you couldn't see on a billboard or add in the paper.

Same setup as the others just getting sexier.

As always C&C is welcome and hope you've all enjoyed these shots.
Views: 3,872
09-26-2007, 10:56 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Original Poster

09-26-2007, 11:34 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
ok you are officially my favorite poster now

i love these...always fun....although have to be a bit sneaky at work lol
09-26-2007, 05:06 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Gaelen Quote
ok you are officially my favorite poster now

i love these...always fun....although have to be a bit sneaky at work lol
LOL thank you and yes they were tons of fun, too bad the hours went by too quickly and we ran out of outfits. Looking at these while working is tough, I was editing them at the camera store when there wasn't anyone there which was pretty tough.

09-26-2007, 09:54 PM   #5
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Very cool again, Chris. Lovin' the stuff you're postin'. Some of my stuff lately has been coming out nice, but a lot of it gets beat down in the forum so they must not be so good. Your's are quite good.
09-27-2007, 11:29 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by davemdsn Quote
Very cool again, Chris. Lovin' the stuff you're postin'. Some of my stuff lately has been coming out nice, but a lot of it gets beat down in the forum so they must not be so good. Your's are quite good.
Thanks Dave it's been a joy doing it and I'm not sure about the beat down, but we'll claw our way back to the top. They are awesome shots so maybe it's just you being hard on yourself
09-28-2007, 12:58 AM   #7
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Also, I love the chair.

09-28-2007, 09:44 AM   #8
Forum Member

This is a type of photography most men are probably experts in commenting on! I agree with David that there were some shots where I found the chair far more interesting/distracting than the girl. Also I find the shots where she's not looking at the camera yet revealing herself somewhat akward. The only other comment was about her outfit being grey/black and the background being gray. I can't say for sure, but I think it would have helped for her outfits to have a bit more contrast from the background. Also, honestly, if you're going to show off certain parts of your body, let do some close-ups! :-)
09-28-2007, 11:03 AM   #9
JMI

I think NC-17 is a stretch. I would call them pg-13. Besides any of the lighting, I don't see sexy. It looks like you guys were having fun which is good, my photo shoots tend to be a blast for me, the staff and the models....lol.

I think one thing that really might help, is to not post as many shots. Narrow them down to 2 or 3 at the most in one outfit. Less is better. I find that I sometimes use 1 shot out of 600 or so for my own portfolio. While I may give the model 8 to 10. I use to think that made you a bad photographer until I saw a video of one of the "masters". He must have put 10 to 12 rolls of film in his 35mm (I'm assuming they were 36exp each). I think there were 3 or so of the shot published.
09-30-2007, 06:55 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by davemdsn Quote
Also, I love the chair.
Ha, yeah that chair may have seen better days, but at least it has character and it has some appeal. Plus it shows how low budget this really was.

QuoteOriginally posted by anthropas Quote
This is a type of photography most men are probably experts in commenting on! I agree with David that there were some shots where I found the chair far more interesting/distracting than the girl. Also I find the shots where she's not looking at the camera yet revealing herself somewhat akward. The only other comment was about her outfit being grey/black and the background being gray. I can't say for sure, but I think it would have helped for her outfits to have a bit more contrast from the background. Also, honestly, if you're going to show off certain parts of your body, let do some close-ups! :-)
Thanks, yeah the chair is either loved or hated, but it's what I have besides really nice dinner chairs. Hmm, I didn't really spend too much time looking into the eye direction or look, mostly just the general pose and you bring up a good point. SLowly all my eggs will be in the basket when I shoot.

QuoteOriginally posted by JMI Quote
I think NC-17 is a stretch. I would call them pg-13. Besides any of the lighting, I don't see sexy. It looks like you guys were having fun which is good, my photo shoots tend to be a blast for me, the staff and the models....lol.

I think one thing that really might help, is to not post as many shots. Narrow them down to 2 or 3 at the most in one outfit. Less is better. I find that I sometimes use 1 shot out of 600 or so for my own portfolio. While I may give the model 8 to 10. I use to think that made you a bad photographer until I saw a video of one of the "masters". He must have put 10 to 12 rolls of film in his 35mm (I'm assuming they were 36exp each). I think there were 3 or so of the shot published.
I put that on so parents wouldn't have their kids around or near these because some people consider these too much while others will understand the body is a natural thing and who cares if she is nude or fully clothed. Just protecting myself from a barrage of parents being angry at me for not warning them ahead of time.

I post all the shots to show the winners and losers or just fun shots because if I only posted the best everyone would get the idea that I'm some great photog with mad skills, but I'm like everyone else here with hits and misses so I show them and hopefully people can look and see what works and what doesn't. Another point I make with these shots is that studio work is possible with the K10D and strobist does work with our system. I personally sell cameras and see how people think brand X is better than brand Y without a simple reason besides I've always shot so and so and my pictures prove everything is possible with Pentax and thats why we've sold more Pentax than all Canon this year while still being the largest Pro Canon dealer in a large area. I'm a firm believer in giving back to the photo community as much as I can with my blog and with not holding back any info on how I get my shots. For my portfolio out of over 50,000 shots taken with my K10D I have maybe a dozen and none of these are in it to prove your point about the mess of photos taken to get a great shot.

I did enjoy your bar/nightclub shots, it's actually where I started my work so it brings me back lol. Well thank you for the input and hopefully see more of your work as well and be prepared for some crazy stuff I have cooking.
09-30-2007, 08:28 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Great series Chris - I see you've been practicing with that studio setup!

Curious, how do you like it, and what's your opinion on the limitations of such a system? It's always good to hear what works, doesn't work, or "sorta fits the bill".

Regards,
Marc
09-30-2007, 09:13 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by 35mmfilm_user Quote
Great series Chris - I see you've been practicing with that studio setup!

Curious, how do you like it, and what's your opinion on the limitations of such a system? It's always good to hear what works, doesn't work, or "sorta fits the bill".

Regards,
Marc
Thanks Marc, and I do enjoy the setup. I picked up this setup because it light was balanced and very portable plus it was inexpensive for what you get. The only thing that bothers me is that the Cool Lights cant be shot through or into an umbrella which I prefer but for soft lighting there is a shower cap diffuser that comes with the lights so it's not all bad. The background paper I purchased is a little small and would like somethign wider so I have more freedom from where I can shoot and still have something in the background so next purchase is a much wider paper probably a different colour as well.

To make this a little better I'd have to purchase at least one more cool light and strobe in add some more interesting light to the party. The two cool lights equal about 720 watts of light which is not even close to enough to work on their own so a third would be over 1000 watts which is good light. I'd set 2 strobes for fill or one for fill then one for side light or hitting the background. The third strobe would be hairlight or setup behind the subject fired directly onto their shoulders and head to add separation from the background.

Hope this helps Marc and with my wedding money I made from the weekend it's time to add a second 540 to my bag and a fourth radio receiver and probably two more light stands. I have another shoot setup that will be really really really crazy, but cool so hopefully I'll have something to show what I'm talking about.