Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Pelicans, Egrets
Lens: Lentar 90-230 Camera: K-x Photo Location: Louisiana ISO: 200 Aperture: F11 
Posted By: Paleo Pete, 12-05-2010, 11:20 AM

Got a load of nice Pelican shots yesterday, and a feww Egrets as well. Posted a few of the Pelican shots in POTW, here are some more with some Egret shots as well.

As always, comments and critiques welcome, and I hope you like them.

Shot with a Lentar 90-230 lens, usually zoomed to 230 but a few are in the 180-200 range, all at f11, mostly 1/500 and a few at 1/250 I think. (I'd have to check the EXIF data, I'm too lazy to keep notes) The Lentar really impressed me, it makes my Rokinon 75-300 look like a cheap imitation of a lens. Comparing some of these shots to the Pelican shots from a few days ago with the Rokinon I find there's no comparison, the Lentar blows the Rokinon away hands down.

Very little editing here, mostly crop and resize. One was overexposed, adjusted the gamma, otherwise no editing, these are just what came off the camera.

OK I'll shut up and post some pictures...

Oh yeah, some of these may also be cross posted in the POTW thread...and I went ahead and posted the full size for once, see how it works. Let me know if you'd rather have a smaller one linked to the full version...

A Nice Pair

Three of A Kind

Hmmmm...What's He Doing Down There?

No, I won't Pose the Way You Want

I'm Gonna Bail

Backlit Egret just about to jump, I had to adjust the Gamma on this one, it was overexposed a bit.

Told You

Same Egret, I reset the exposure before he took off, but barely...

He's Just showing Off, I can Fly Too

Enjoy...
Views: 1,895
12-05-2010, 12:46 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Great shots. We don't see white pelicans often here - for whatever reason - so thanks for posting these pics.

Jer
12-05-2010, 12:48 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Nice shots indeed, but I see lots of CA....
12-05-2010, 01:15 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Nice shots, Pete. You should include the ones from the POTW in this line-up, too, because they're even better.

12-06-2010, 08:14 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Sailor - Thanks, and strange you should say that. I shot 35mm pictures of them in Corpus Christi bay 20 years ago, and saw many in the Houston/Galveston area when I lived there. My books all say they range from Florida to Guatemala...

Rense - Thanks, can't do much about the CA, nothing I've found will completely eliminate it and backlit shots usually have some.The Rokinon is lots worse though...

Tamia - Thanks, I thought I had included a couple, I'll have to go back and look.