Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Morning Fog
Posted By: clarenceclose, 12-05-2006, 07:05 PM

This was shot in Ozark, IL early morning and came out too dark, as shown by the small photo. As I liked the compostion I did some PS work to salvage. C&C appreciated.

Last edited by clarenceclose; 01-25-2007 at 01:10 PM.
Views: 2,978
12-05-2006, 07:07 PM   #2
Veteran Member

What a transformation and salvage. It is like a dream or mirage or something. What processing did you do to achieve this?

Thanks for sharing Clarence
12-05-2006, 08:34 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
Now you are asking me to delve into the recesses of my brain. I have to tell you the filing system there is not what it used to be. I will reconstruct from the photoshop native file format .psd file as best I can. First I duplicated the background layer. On that layer I put a white to black gradient, top to bottom, on overlay to darken the ground and lighten the sky and upper trees. That layer blend mode was then made to Linear Dodge. Next I cntl/alt/shift/E to make a new layer of the last two and did a painterly effect, set the opacity of this layer to 70%, set the blend mode of this layer to screen. Duplicate this layer and layer/adjust/hue-saturation lightened it using the bottom slider then added a wrinkled paper texture on overlay mode. Set the blend mode on this layer to soft light. Crop, frame and border. A lot of this is by eye and feel and I tossed away some layers that didn't do what I wanted. Adjustment layers are my favorite way to go, Layer/New Adjustment Layer-Clip to previous layer. That way I can do some fine tuning. Hope this helped.
12-06-2006, 12:16 AM   #4
Veteran Member

I read that several times in the textbooks regarding photoshop art and it seems you can take it altogether. I better took out these books again and played around them myself

Thanks

12-06-2006, 01:12 AM   #5

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by clarenceclose Quote
C&C appreciated.
Great work! You did a very good job on this.

The only point I'd have would be to go a bit softer on the colors - with saturation lowered somewhat I think the dreamy feeling of the picture would be even enhanced further. The way it is the saturation is IMO too strong, drawing too much attention to itself.

Just my 2 cents. Very well done!

Phil
12-06-2006, 03:06 AM   #6
Veteran Member

It would seem everyone before me had the same word "dreamy" come to mind as soon as I saw the image.

Good composition with that fence. I wonder however whether it might look great on monitor but not as a printed version at actual size.

Nonetheless great job. You have one heck of an eye for composition.
12-06-2006, 06:02 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thank you for your viewing and critiques.

Phil..will look at it and reduce saturation on some of the layers. See if I like it.

JC..Haven't printed it yet. Will have to look at it hard copy once I get my 'printing' funds set aside. I like to give some of my work as gifts to those in my family who are near or at the sites so my step son and his new bride may get a copy of this one.
12-06-2006, 11:34 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Great image, very ethereal. I agree with Phil though. WHen I first saw it I was turned away by the saturated colors. I gave it a second look and it grew on me though.