Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Arachnophobia....the squeamish beware
Lens: da 35 macro limited Camera: k20d 
Posted By: Timtast1c, 12-06-2010, 08:16 PM

I found this guy trotting around my house in my sister's bedroom the other day.... so I swooped him up and decided to snap some photos of him in a small aquarium that I turned into a scene box! He was pretty cooperative. It think its a California tarantula.

kind of cute isn't it? look at those little eyes!

then someone got a little upset....fangs!

but then he calmed down

legs

Views: 1,971
12-07-2010, 06:08 AM   #2

Love it!
Long as it isn't living in my house!
12-07-2010, 06:20 AM   #3
Banned

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Great shots, I love the unique DOF view of the last one.
12-07-2010, 07:34 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
What a cool creature and nice shots.

{I, too, do not want them inside my house!}

12-07-2010, 10:11 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
FYI - For those of you who don't like these guys, I've caught a couple of tarantulas, and had two friends (one studying entymology at college) who kept them in aquariums. I handled both many times.

Tarantulas are very passive creatures, not dangerous at all, but thanks to Alfred Hitchcock many people are deathly afraid of them. Their bite is usually no worse than a bee sting, the only one that is a threat to humans is the African Red Leg, which can be deadly but usually is not. Only if you are allergic to them are they dangerous.

Tarantulas can be handled without great worry if you are gentle, and avoid loud noises and sudden movements. They can also be picked up between the two sets of legs and cannot reach your fingers to strike, but be careful, they are fairly soft and can be injured. They only strike when threatened, or for food. The ones I caught in Texas were both Texas Cinnamons. I can't identify this one, I don't have my books with me...