Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Practice makes Pictures... C&C welcome
Posted By: Igilligan, 09-27-2007, 01:11 AM

NO theme except maybe "goofin' around"
any comments bad or good are most welcome.

urban decay and gus the dog

I liked the shadow of the bee...

Thanks for looking
gus
Views: 2,539
09-27-2007, 02:33 AM   #2
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
Interesting choice of shots - I find most of them kind of dull, but that is probably just me. Closeups of body parts are freaky and generally not too attractive. I do, however, like the bee with his landing gear down. Keep up the good work, don't let my bland response deter you from taking more pictures. If you are happy with them that is all that matters.
09-27-2007, 09:36 AM   #3
Igilligan

Jeff, thanks for taking time and replying. It is good to get a reality check... I appreciate the honesty. We never get better if everyone just plays nice and doesn't tell you how it is....
09-27-2007, 09:50 AM   #4

i agree with j. scott, most come off a bit boring, not that the subject matter or the composition is necessarily bad, it was just hard for your pictures to evoke any sort of emotion in my mind or heart, know what i mean?

i like the b&w of the guy, but his hand looks REALLY uncomfortable which makes me REALLY uncomfortable.

09-27-2007, 10:17 AM   #5
Igilligan

Thanks WagonMonster, Dull seems to be the consensus.

But, The uncomfortable feeling from the hand in the portrait...
I see it as capturing the inner struggle of a man try to look at peace in his own skin, yet being betrayed by that hand. The battle we all have fought at one time in our lives... do I fit in? 8^)

Thanks for the comment... point taken
09-27-2007, 10:30 AM   #6
Veteran Member

OK, let's look at this from the point-of-view of a guy who has been "goofin around" a long time. Becoming a serious amateur or a pro starts with goofin around. Ya know, some award-winners have been out-of-focus photographs.

Like Jeff, I like the bee shot - crop it, and you're on the way to a good image. Again, the guys photo, crop it and perhaps a dark vignette around the edges and voila, you will have the making of a mounted.

I'm sure you're just testing the capabilities of your lense. In my opinion, try to compose the image in-camera rather than waiting and doing it afterwards.

There ya have it Gus - truth from 3 of us - hope it helps.
09-27-2007, 10:36 AM   #7

QuoteOriginally posted by Igilligan Quote
Thanks WagonMonster, Dull seems to be the consensus.

But, The uncomfortable feeling from the hand in the portrait...
I see it as capturing the inner struggle of a man try to look at peace in his own skin, yet being betrayed by that hand. The battle we all have fought at one time in our lives... do I fit in? 8^)

Thanks for the comment... point taken

ok, that made me LOL.

09-27-2007, 12:20 PM   #8
Igilligan

Hey JCSullivan....

QuoteOriginally posted by JCSullivan Quote
OK, let's look at this from the point-of-view of a guy who has been "goofin around" a long time. Becoming a serious amateur or a pro starts with goofin around. Ya know, some award-winners have been out-of-focus photographs.

Like Jeff, I like the bee shot - crop it, and you're on the way to a good image. Again, the guys photo, crop it and perhaps a dark vignette around the edges and voila, you will have the making of a mounted.

I'm sure you're just testing the capabilities of your lense. In my opinion, try to compose the image in-camera rather than waiting and doing it afterwards.

There ya have it Gus - truth from 3 of us - hope it helps.
Hey JC, you are absolutely right... I was practicing with different lenses to try and figure out what works best for each. They all seem to have a personality all their own. Between the Kits and the two M pentax and the various off brands I picked up on ebay... It is real hit or miss on exposure. I guess I should pick one and shoot it to death then move on. Coming from a live histo/view of my bridge cam... I am still getting the hang of it all.

I guess I will wait until I have something that I really need help with or something special before I post again. No need just throwin' pratice shots up. I have never aspired to be dull, although I have attained it often according to my friends..

I will try a different crop on the bee shot and the "Hand" shot.
Thanks for the input.
gus
09-27-2007, 12:50 PM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteQuote:
I will wait until I have something that I really need help with or something special before I post again
I don't think anyone minds - at least I don't. With this forum and plenty of reading you'll be on your way. Besides, the purpose of a forum is to share and learn. And hey, I been called plenty DULL - it's easier now cause it slips right-off my bald head.

jc
09-27-2007, 01:07 PM   #10

QuoteOriginally posted by Igilligan Quote

I guess I will wait until I have something that I really need help with or something special before I post again. No need just throwin' pratice shots up. I have never aspired to be dull, although I have attained it often according to my friends..
no dude, that's what it's all about; progression.
09-27-2007, 01:18 PM   #11
Igilligan

[QUOTE=Igilligan;100008]

Wow, that did read a little like I was takin' my ball and going home...
Did not mean it like that.

Thanks again for the support... I will just wait until you all go to bed before I post again.. haha