Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Watson Lake -- Your Favorites?
Lens: DA 16-45 & DA 55-300 Camera: K10D Photo Location: Prescott, Arizona, USA ISO: 100 Aperture: F8 
Posted By: sajmmiller, 12-10-2010, 09:56 AM

Hi All,

Been a while since I've posted. After a cross-country move from Arkansas to Arizona, I'm just now starting to get out and shoot a bit. I'm glad to see some familiar names still on this forum, and hope you all are doing well.

If possible, I'd appreciate some feedback on which of the following photos you prefer and why.

Thank you!

Views: 4,012
12-10-2010, 10:57 AM   #2
Inactive Account

Nice work!

I for myself would prefer the first and the last one. The first one cause of it's slight different composition - the foreground stones are a bit more complete. (Would like to see a version just without them).

And the last, cause the clouds form a better composition too - clearer diagonals and no cut line.

It looks like you can sit there for hours... I am curious about the smell and the sounds at this place.
12-10-2010, 11:17 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
For me its #4 because of the composition and lighting. The top three lack foreground interest and the horizon is too centered unloike the fourth image where your eye flows around the image. JIM
12-10-2010, 01:45 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
#3 is the one I keep returning to... the warm tones of the rounded fissured rocks, the well defined clouds, the slightly darker overall tone, and the duck all make it my favorite.

12-10-2010, 04:15 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by christophleipzig Quote
Nice work!

I for myself would prefer the first and the last one. The first one cause of it's slight different composition - the foreground stones are a bit more complete. (Would like to see a version just without them).

And the last, cause the clouds form a better composition too - clearer diagonals and no cut line.

It looks like you can sit there for hours... I am curious about the smell and the sounds at this place.
Thanks for your feedback!

Watson Lake is a nice place to explore and spend time. This spot is about a mile walk and is pretty quiet other than noises made by various waterfowl. As far as smells...just fresh desert mountian air.
12-10-2010, 05:46 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Hi Jim,

Thanks for your comments. I felt a foreground was needed, but from this location was grappling with tripod placement and how much foreground to include without making it distracting. I'm not sure I understand your comment about the horizon, because #4 looks to have the most centered horizon.
12-10-2010, 06:59 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Tamia Quote
#3 is the one I keep returning to... the warm tones of the rounded fissured rocks, the well defined clouds, the slightly darker overall tone, and the duck all make it my favorite.
Hi Tamia,

Thanks for taking the time to comment. I like #3 too for some of the same reasons you mention. I wish I could combine the best elements of the first three photos...the light and cloud formations were changing quickly.

12-11-2010, 08:00 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Number ! has the clouds but the lighting on the 2nd one is really nice, especially on the rock formations on the right. The 3rd has the best of both worlds plus the V made by the duck. So, I also choose number 3 although they are all beautiful shots. Of the last two, the last one is my favorite. The cloud formations make it for me.
12-11-2010, 11:53 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
My choices are :

#3, I like the lighting, and actually like the V on the water made by the bird.

#5 : Prefer the light in this one compared to the other. Slightly better exposure, as I see it.
12-11-2010, 02:43 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Nice to see you posting again Scott. As for the images, #3 for better contrast and #5 for a cleaner sky.
12-12-2010, 10:55 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by slowpez Quote
Number ! has the clouds but the lighting on the 2nd one is really nice, especially on the rock formations on the right. The 3rd has the best of both worlds plus the V made by the duck. So, I also choose number 3 although they are all beautiful shots. Of the last two, the last one is my favorite. The cloud formations make it for me.
Thank you for your detailed thoughts Susan! I had some of the same thoughts, so your post is reassuring.
12-12-2010, 12:43 PM   #12

Hi Scott! Nice to have another Arizona forum member. I will actually be making the trip up to Prescott for some shopping later this week!
I prefer #3 and #5, for the reasons others have mentioned. Lighting, composition, and the V the bird makes in #3 really does add a cool touch as Susan and Bruce mentioned.

-Matthew
12-12-2010, 05:24 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Bramela Quote
My choices are :

#3, I like the lighting, and actually like the V on the water made by the bird.

#5 : Prefer the light in this one compared to the other. Slightly better exposure, as I see it.
I appreciate the feedback Bruce!

QuoteOriginally posted by Heinrich Lohmann Quote
Nice to see you posting again Scott. As for the images, #3 for better contrast and #5 for a cleaner sky.
Hi Heinrich,

I appreciate your comment. I was torn between #4 and number #5, but I'm leaning towards number five because of the light and sky. Hope you are doing well.
12-13-2010, 06:28 AM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Another vote for number 3, but 4 is very close.

Jer
12-13-2010, 10:47 AM   #15
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by SMPhoto Quote
Hi Scott! Nice to have another Arizona forum member. I will actually be making the trip up to Prescott for some shopping later this week!
I prefer #3 and #5, for the reasons others have mentioned. Lighting, composition, and the V the bird makes in #3 really does add a cool touch as Susan and Bruce mentioned.

-Matthew
Hi Matthew,

Thanks for commenting. Yes, it's nice to know another Pentaxian in N. Arizona! I've been wanting to do some shooting over in your area. Hopefully, I'll be able to start venturing a little further afield this Spring. I have much exploring I wish to do in Arizona.