Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Self Portrait: Need pointers!
Lens: Promaster 28mm f/2.8 Camera: Pentax K-x Photo Location: In my kitchen 
Posted By: MikeS, 12-17-2010, 02:22 PM

Alright, I have basically no experience in Portraits (for all intents and purposes). The photo follows, but I'll explain my situation.

I guess I'll start with what I do know:
1.) Very basic setup--I'll just say that I don't run a studio, nor have I the gear for it
2.) The focus was a bit off. I sharpened the picture in PP.
3.) Low lighting, so I just tried to keep still
4.) Brightness/contrast/curves adjustment. I wanted a pretty dark shot, where the skin tones were almost the only highlights, with side lighting. ~30% crop.
5.) The result is kinda what I was going for, but I had to really mess with the PP to get this... I don't like how blown out my face is; however, I like the contrast created by the lighting.

WHEW! Ok, that's the story. If you have any pointers/suggestions/rules-of-thumb that I could keep in mind [in general] for portraits , I'd love to hear 'em. Also any comments or C&C you might have

Self Portrait, 28mm, f/3.2, 1/6", ISO-800, monochrome in PP.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-x  Photo 

Last edited by MikeS; 12-17-2010 at 11:11 PM.
Views: 1,504
12-18-2010, 04:45 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Well, first, if you post this thread in the critique section you can get more responses.

A couple of things:
1. 1/6s is just too slow a speed to get a sharp portrait.
2. You can crop the picture so that you are in the center. This one looks to have more space on the left.

cheers,
12-18-2010, 08:59 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by dexmus Quote
if you post this thread in the critique section you can get more responses.
Ah... yes that would have been a wise choice

Well, the space on the left was intentional; I guess I was going for a different perspective (it's already a crop from the original); I'll try it centered

The original shot is here.

I will make use of the critique thread in the future

And thanks for your comments