Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Millenium Cross
Lens: 18 - 55mm DAL Camera: K-x Photo Location: Tipperary, Ireland ISO: 400 Shutter Speed: >6s Aperture: F4.5 
Posted By: Michelleans, 12-18-2010, 04:13 AM

Been playing with my camera last night on a walk up the mountain with a friend and our three dogs.

The atmosphere was amazing. The fog made it so eerie, it came in fast and we had hardly any visibility then went out again almost as fast. At one stage it was blowing past the moon in fantastic fashion. It was snowing and the place was covered in snow.

I wanted to post just a few of the best shots. I recently purchased a tripod and brought it along to test it out. When the snow eased off I whipped it out!

The first we shone our headlamps on it to light it up - Millenium Cross from up close

From further away with Nenagh town in the background - i know it's very bad quality, but I lightened it and couldnt take any lighter of a photo just too dark for that when I was snapping the shot.

Nenagh

The eerie outhouse on top of the hill - loved this but again feel it could be brighter, or does the darkness add to the atmosphere?

And one across the marina I took this morning at dawn

all comments, tips for getting brighter images with no light (we had a bright full moon too) would be appreciated.

Bearing in mind I test over 10s exposure times, would lengthening this to longer have any effect I wonder?
Views: 2,022
12-24-2010, 04:27 PM   #2
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
The outhouse could be a dvd cover for a horror flick, very eerie.
12-24-2010, 11:40 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I like your first photo and would add a little more light to the outhouse. Nice job and thanks for sharing. Bob
12-24-2010, 11:53 PM   #4
Veteran Member

The first shot is very Hammer House ish - though you could have done with the focal point being at the top of the cross - and maybe used f11. I really like it though.

The last shot of the marina is absolutely gorgeous.

You can easily use up to 30s on the K7 ( I guess the Kx is the same) and then you have to switch to bulb to longer shutter times. #4 perhaps could have done with a longer exposure.

You can actually turn night into day with a long enough exposure - this is one I took recently at night ( I would have posted just a link but I don't think I've put this up in this forum before - at least I can't find it) with a 30s exposure :

12-25-2010, 01:55 AM   #5
Inactive Account

The morning photo is overexposed. The rest underexposed. Composition could be greatly improved. One can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear. You tried the impossible in all but the morning shot. No sense just making you feel good. I'm challenging you to improve. Good luck.
12-26-2010, 12:35 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Michelle, I love the first one, I would try to get rid of a bit of the noise though!
And yes, Sparkle is right, it's underexposed. And no, I don't agree it should be
fixed. Sometimes - almost always - photographic rules are to be broken.

Otherwise you'll keep copying.....