Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Jim Dunne imitation
Lens: Pentax-F 50mm f1.7 Camera: K-7 Photo Location: Aurora, CO USA ISO: 200 Shutter Speed: 1/180s Aperture: F4 
Posted By: Just1MoreDave, 12-19-2010, 03:01 PM

Jum Dunne is a photographer who specialized in automotive spy shots. Manufacturers would build an early car for real-world testing, and Dunne would take photos of it to sell to car magazines. The manufacturers would try to keep their styling secret by disguising the car's bodywork with fake parts.

I first saw this car last week when I was walking my dogs, and it looked exactly like the spy photos I used to see in car magazines. Then I saw it again a couple of more times, at just about the same time, right in front of my house. So I put on a 50mm lens, which gave me a reasonable field of view. I set the camera to hi-speed drive mode, AF-C, f4 for reasonable DOF, and ISO200 because the car was black and I thought it might show noise too well. Sure enough, the car showed up right on time:

If you look closely, the car has many panels tacked on to it, probably a fake hood and trunk too. I think it might be a Mercedes SL.

Of course, this is not a very good photo. I underestimated the required shutter speed. Tomorrow, I'll try f2.8 and ISO400, so I can get 2 more stops of speed. Panning practice would help too. I think the camera did a great job metering, and AF-C tracked the car well. I just like the story.
Views: 1,584
12-19-2010, 03:39 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Looks like a pretty darn good photo to me, given the circumstances. Good job of panning. And . . . . . it does look like a Merc - not clear why Mercedes would be moving a test mule around Colorado in the winter.

Jer