Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Cave Horses
Posted By: clarenceclose, 12-06-2006, 06:18 PM

I shot this one after the sun went down and my P&S camera could not get enough ISO to capture the running. After I brought it up I thought it looked like an abstract of a cave painting so gave it a horizontal crop. I know it is a little abstract so feel free to comment about your observations and critiques.

Views: 1,787
12-06-2006, 10:49 PM   #2
Veteran Member

It is a nice looking abstract and you frame the whole photo with the 3D look. It is artistic and pleasant.

Nice work
12-06-2006, 11:29 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Great idea and wonderful image. The only thing I can think of is that the horses are a bit too centeredin the frame. Perhaps a slightly tighter crop on the left to accent the movement of the horses a bit more.
12-07-2006, 12:25 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I realise the horses are running and all that, but they just look too deformed to me. I realise you didn't have much choice of exposure, but less movement of the horses would tip the balance for me to a good photo. and I agree that the animals should be more to the left.

12-07-2006, 05:14 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Good attempt Clarence but it's definately for the "this one didn't turn-out well" list.
12-07-2006, 09:17 AM   #6
Inactive Account

I know exactly where you are coming from Clarence. I had the same sort of accident with the shot below but something about it made me keep it. I see what you mean with your shot but I have to agree that the blur is just a bit too much, mine probably is too but... I still like it.
Attached Images

12-07-2006, 10:40 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thank you all for your inputs. I will take a look at that cropping some more off the left side. That could improve the dynamics of the horses moving into the picture.

JC, this is one of those that is or it isn't for people. Perhaps this is one I keep in my den with my other oddities that aren't the best examples of what I would show to others of my work but do strike some dark and secret desire in my photogo's heart.:ugh:

Sometimes I wonder at taste, mine in particular, but I do agree with Scott, there are some things that we just like, because we like them. (as seen by the signature statement below) That chickadee diving off the branch appeals to me too. Maybe it is a desire not just to stop life for a moment with camera but to be able to capture such a moment with watercolors, paint and canvas.

Please don't take this as me being defensive as I am open to other people's varied inputs and again thank you for all your directness and assistance.

Last edited by clarenceclose; 12-07-2006 at 10:45 AM.
12-07-2006, 01:41 PM   #8
Veteran Member

I love these accidental photos - you think you've entirely fluffed it, but there's something there. I agree, it needs an off-centre crop, but the deformity that bothers Arpe works for me, at least in the context of cave drawings. Those were funny-looking horses! Just goes to show you shouldn't be too quick to toss the "bad" photos just in case they grab you somehow.

Scott - I like the chickadee, they're such active little critters that it seems a little wrong to freeze them, and your shot captures the motion beautifully.

Julie
12-07-2006, 05:13 PM   #9
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by clarenceclose Quote
...in my den with my other oddities...
I'm not sure whether or not I want to know more about this?!