Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Snow!
Lens: FA50 Camera: K200D Photo Location: Near Whistler, BC ISO: 200 Shutter Speed: 1/500s Aperture: F4 
Posted By: sewebster, 12-21-2010, 01:43 PM

AF miss or artistic effect on purpose? Who cares! Taken on a backcountry snowshoeing trip.
Views: 2,225
12-21-2010, 08:04 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
It is a different effect, looks like the lens is literally frozen, too cold for me, but thanks for the view. Bob
12-22-2010, 11:51 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I like the blur. It seems to accentuate the cold. Don't like the cold but really like the photo.
12-22-2010, 08:34 PM   #4
Inactive Account

Being kind does not improve quality which this forum is all about. I'll try to help:
The photo is totally under exposed. 1/500? Was that a guess or is your meter in need of repair.
Snow should be about 2 stops overexposed so it will not look grey.
The snow is out of focus. It should have a crisp look. f 4 (?) should be about 4 times that for better depth of field. Maybe the camera was frozen and did not work properly.
Take it into a Camera Shop and have it checked out. Good luck.

12-23-2010, 01:09 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
Im not entirely sure what you are getting at, but if it is not obvious, the snowshoers are supposed to be out of focus for artistic effect. The exposure could be increased, but there is some danger of losing detail... sometimes I find it hard to know how white to make snow... in this case it was later in day and quite gloomy, so I feel the brightness if appropriate, but I really just posted it as a bit of an unusual shot.
12-23-2010, 01:24 PM   #6
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by sewebster Quote
Im not entirely sure what you are getting at, but if it is not obvious, the snowshoers are supposed to be out of focus for artistic effect. The exposure could be increased, but there is some danger of losing detail... sometimes I find it hard to know how white to make snow... in this case it was later in day and quite gloomy, so I feel the brightness if appropriate, but I really just posted it as a bit of an unusual shot.
Why does sparkle think he knows what you should enjoy in your photography,there are too many critics who obviously went to a feast of knowledge and devoured a few crumbs.GREAT shot by the way,falling snow is hard to capture.
12-23-2010, 01:32 PM   #7
Veteran Member

I see what you were going for, it's an interesting shot and quite successful. Your camera is not broken!

The snow seems a little blue (might be my screen) and it could be maybe slightly brighter but you certainly don't have to pretend it was sunny - we already see the heavy snowfall.

It's possible that by focusing closer you might have got bigger snowflakes in shot but they'd also be more spaced out - so.. tricky one! There's definitely potential.

Funny how some people have strong reactions to unusual shots - when looking through some of my photos the other day a friend said to me "that's wrong! it's wrong because there's a red thing, and it's out of focus!" and he took some convincing that it was deliberate.