Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Pictures from Limerick, PA Airport
Posted By: Ari, 09-30-2007, 06:57 AM

I am still trying to figure out how to use my Sigma 70-300 zoom lens. I've had very bad luck with it so far, but I am slightly happy with the results. I kept it wide open for all of the shots. I also had to hide in the entrance; I couldn;t get close enough to the landing strip to get more candid shots (go figure!)
Critiques, comments (and more importantly, tips on how to better use this lens) are most welcome!

EDIT: Jeff-I think I finally figured out the problem I was having with posting files from my smugmug account. Here are all of the pictures I wanted to post:

Last edited by Ari; 10-02-2007 at 10:52 AM.
Views: 1,477
09-30-2007, 07:20 AM   #2
Veteran Member

First, your photo didnt display in your post. I thinn you may need to remove the two slashes before the http.

The photo is nice but its a bit too grainy for me. If this is the look you were looking for then no worries.

I also think that the photo would look better if there were some more room in front of the plane. in the photo, part of the prop hub is cut off.

Just my thoughts.... for what they're worth.
09-30-2007, 08:26 AM   #3
Ari
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Mr Hyde Quote
First, your photo didnt display in your post. I thinn you may need to remove the two slashes before the http.

The photo is nice but its a bit too grainy for me. If this is the look you were looking for then no worries.

I also think that the photo would look better if there were some more room in front of the plane. in the photo, part of the prop hub is cut off.

Just my thoughts.... for what they're worth.
Thanks-I was definitely not going for the grainy look I am having major troubles posting pictures this morning-going to try again this afternoon.
10-01-2007, 03:17 AM   #4
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
Looks like you are having some difficulties in uploading pictures. There is a sticky thread tutorial on how to do just that in this section.

About your picture - I took the liberty to download it and play with it a bit in Photoshop CS2.
It is a fine picture of a Cessna and reminds me of time (and money ) spent getting my pilots license.

This is the original picture. It is a bit grainy but then again, it was shot at 800 ISO. Try shooting at 200 ISO and stopping down the aperture next time. Your shutter speed is set at 1/4000th which froze the action of the prop. I have landed a Cessna with a dead engine but it was not a lot of fun! Maybe try slowing the speed down and panning the camera next time. Also, I noticed a couple of dust spots - one near the tip of the left wig and one over the antennas on the fuselage.

All I did in PS was to 'auto adjust' the levels and it brought out a more pleasing colour to the sky and plane and increased the saturation a bit more after that. Then I ran a filter to reduce some of the noise and cloned out the dust spots. I am no wizard with PS, they are just a couple of quick-fixes that can improve an image sometimes.

Last edited by J.Scott; 10-01-2007 at 03:22 AM.
10-01-2007, 04:33 PM   #5
Ari
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
Jeff:
Thank you for the comments (and hosting the images) I really appreciate it. I was really at a loss as to what settings I should use with this lens relative to what I was trying to capture. I am going to try to post some more shots from this set (now that I think I got the hang of posting photos here )