Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Starbucks
Posted By: praxxis, 10-01-2007, 01:03 AM

while we were waiting for my officemate's parents to come, i fiddled with my K100D + 50mm f4 lens and took this shots...

taken outside of Starbucks Pasong Tamo Makati, Philippines...

comments are welcome...

thanks for looking!
Views: 2,581
10-01-2007, 04:26 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by praxxis Quote
comments are welcome...
Comment: Starbucks sells terrible, overpriced coffee. They are the bane of most small towns because they drive out decent local shops.

About the pictures, the second one is very nice indeed. The third one would be way better without the pole cutting through the middle of the subject.

The first one isn't doing much for me.
10-01-2007, 04:36 AM   #3
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

I'd mirror Carpents comments. Just love that burnt coffee taste at Starbucks and hugely inflated price (rant rant....).
First shot is off center and might be interesting if the supports lined up perfectly with the corners then converted to B&W. 2 is good. 3 Same thought, pole in the head.
10-01-2007, 04:43 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Olla, fellow Filipino! Shot number two does it for me, though number three's almost there, if not for the pole (like others mentioned). Thanks for sharing.

As regards to Starbucks comments, well, it's sort of a recent fad here in the Philippines, something like a status symbol for some people here (though some really do like the coffee there). It's a colonial mentality thing that we Filipinos as a people can't shake off easily. What's western is better. Something like that. Sad but true.

10-01-2007, 04:44 AM   #5
Veteran Member

And for full disclosure, I don't hold Starbucks (or Wal-Mart, McDonald's, et.al.) at fault - they are just selling what people are buying. I just can't believe what consumers are willing to buy just because it is a brand name.

But then, the D40x sells like hot cakes. Oh, well.
10-01-2007, 06:26 AM   #6
Ari
Veteran Member

Love the second shot. At least in your country, you are allowed to enjoy a cigarette with your overpriced coffee We are all relegated to the sidewalk here to smoke........
10-01-2007, 07:17 PM   #7

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by carpents Quote
Comment: Starbucks sells terrible, overpriced coffee. They are the bane of most small towns because they drive out decent local shops.

About the pictures, the second one is very nice indeed. The third one would be way better without the pole cutting through the middle of the subject.

The first one isn't doing much for me.
Indeed Starbucks sells overpriced coffee

As for your comments, I highly appreciated it as that will be my guide in my next shooting encounter. It's just that I'm in the learning curve of first time user of a 50mm f4 lens that I acquired a couple of days ago.

And for that 3rd pic, I'm in a sort of "paparazzi" mode so didn't have time to look for a different angle.

But as I said earlier, thanks for your comments! Comments and criticisms are my teacher.

10-01-2007, 07:21 PM   #8

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Peter Zack Quote
I'd mirror Carpents comments. Just love that burnt coffee taste at Starbucks and hugely inflated price (rant rant....).
First shot is off center and might be interesting if the supports lined up perfectly with the corners then converted to B&W. 2 is good. 3 Same thought, pole in the head.
Thank you too for your comments!

I intentionally did the off centering of 1st pic just for my taste. And I couldn't get more umbrella arms because of the limited view of my 50mm lens. I'll also try B&W that you're suggesting.
10-01-2007, 07:24 PM   #9

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by vinzer Quote
Olla, fellow Filipino! Shot number two does it for me, though number three's almost there, if not for the pole (like others mentioned). Thanks for sharing.
Kumusta kababayan? (trans: How are you fellow Filipino?)

Thanks for the kind comments! Hope to shoot with you someday.
10-01-2007, 07:27 PM   #10

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Ari Quote
Love the second shot. At least in your country, you are allowed to enjoy a cigarette with your overpriced coffee We are all relegated to the sidewalk here to smoke........
Thanks!

Actually my shots were taken outside of it. Just like in your place where the smoking area of Starbucks are placed outdoors.