Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
woman at sunrise
Lens: Pentax 50-135 Camera: K20D Photo Location: Olympic Peninsula ISO: 100 Shutter Speed: 1/8s Aperture: F8 
Posted By: philbaum, 12-27-2010, 01:59 PM

I got the sunrise picture about a week ago, but i kept visualizing something standing in the woods. good chance to learn about layers in elements.

Pls let me know which version you prefer and of course any suggestions for improvement. thanks for looking.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]
Views: 2,336
12-27-2010, 02:08 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Oh, very nice. I like the 2nd one but both are great.
12-28-2010, 02:08 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Tranq,
Thank you, its fun getting more experienced with the elements software,
12-28-2010, 04:24 AM   #4
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Cleverly done. #2 is clearer and more vibrant - difficult to make out at first, but quite effective,
Well done.

12-28-2010, 06:04 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I like the 2nd one better, since the spectral woman is a bit more prominent. I thinks the B&W version, absent the ghostly figure, would be a terrific image in itself.

Jer
12-28-2010, 10:39 AM   #6
Pentaxian

I also like the second one. Something funky looking on top of her head in the first one - tree leaves maybe? Great bit of PP.
12-28-2010, 02:05 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Love these! Though I could see these quite easily being turned into a religious ad Really hard to say which one I like best. I prefer the more prominently visible woman in the 2nd, but the BW flares are awesome.
12-28-2010, 02:18 PM   #8

Photos: Albums
Saw the first pic. Totally focused on the sun rays. Didn't even notice the figure. Liked it.

Moved to the second. didn't like it as much initially, but noticed the figure. Went back to the first - oh, there it is.

The second definitely pulls more attention to the figure.

12-28-2010, 05:12 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jaieger Quote
Love these! Though I could see these quite easily being turned into a religious ad Really hard to say which one I like best. I prefer the more prominently visible woman in the 2nd, but the BW flares are awesome.
Thank you to Ash, Sailor, Slowpez, jaieger, and applejax, its nice to just go crazy once in a while and show something unusual. then to get feedback from such senior members, thats great.

as someone explained to me, one only gets sun rays when there's mist/fog or ash/dust in the air. I got to a woodsy park in the morning and it still had some fog in the air. I was standing behind the tree and shooting the rays in different directions - lots of lumens without having to pay for them. thanks again.
12-29-2010, 09:00 PM   #10
Pentaxian

O nice work!
If I may; I think its the placement/pose of the woman is the one that makes me do a double take. The work itself is great!

I think in both photos, the woman seems like she is standing on air. It seems to me that its better if she was at the ground level. (or if she is meant to float, then her robes should give that ...floating effect).

Also, in terms of her pose...in relation to the picture; it makes me wonder...what is she doing there and why is she looking at me? Especially the second photo, its very vibrant, not something where a ghost seems to be hanging around a lot.
I do like your blending though, I think its really clean.
12-29-2010, 10:34 PM   #11
Veteran Member

first of all..great capture..the tree backlit by the sunrise is quite outstanding

secondly..great PP with the ethereal woman in a spectre type pose ...for me ..Id select the last image for both compositions........I love the colour of the light and that the woman is forward and seems to be projected from the light source , rather than behind it as the first image shows .
12-30-2010, 08:04 AM   #12
Pentaxian

Oh! the second photo is definitely the best one IMHO. The size and clarity of the woman's figure is better on the second picture. Nice job of PP. I can picture it hanging on my wall. Good job.