Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
1 Like  
Post your favourite chees Photos
Posted By: eddie1960, 12-30-2010, 08:24 AM

after Mike closed the post is cheating thread as it had deteriorated into a cheese discussion, i decided we needed a cheese thread (as he suggested
So here you go Post away with any great cheese photo's you have
or any good cheese suggestions for that matter MMMM cheeese

this is at Neal's Yard Dairy in Borough Market in London from my trip in October one of the finest cheese shops I've ever encountered

and Sparkenhoe is one damn fine cheese as well (iso 320 though not 400)

Views: 4,590
12-30-2010, 11:04 AM   #16
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by eddie1960 Quote
I can only speak recently from a London experience, and salaries there tend to be high - christ you couldn't even live there otherwise rents are stratospheric, in the area i rented in the going rate for apartments was 800-1200 pounds a week I just about fell over. In general the reason october was my first trip since 77 to london is it is a damn expensive country and the pound vs the canadian dollar made it worse. Form talking with people i know there who do jobs i know salaries here for they are actually being paid more than we are though not a straight pound to dollars thing. where a job here is paying in the 45-50 thousand canadian range, people i know in london are doing similar jobs for around 40000 pounds at the currently very low exchange rate that is still about 66000 dollars.
the cheese above is also quite pricey here the Sparkenhoe goes for about $32 a kilo when i buy it for the restaurant in the hotel I am a purchaser for.

That being said the cost of living is higher there (aside from Beer which is still cheaper than here despite the cries of how pricey it has become from my friends i still pay about 40% more for a comparable pint at the pub ;-(
Ha ha - yes beer, I always imagined that would be cheaper over there. I know the rents in London - my wife and I are currently subsidising our daughter ! And don't forget about London Weighting. London is around 20% more expensive than anywhere else in the country and even the Civil Service acknowledges that by paying the aforesaid weighting to London based staff. However the majority of Brits of course live outside London and so salaries are commensurately lower (though many consumer products aren't).

Sorry to take this off-topic

Some lovely shots here (esp. @ Slowpez) - I'll have to go downstairs to the fridge now, I know we have Camembert, Cheddar, Cheshire, Philly and a Chilli Cheddar too !

12-30-2010, 05:21 PM   #17
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by eddie1960 Quote
Now days i stay further afield in th 11th near marche aligre a great neighbourhood
You tell me: I have lived 5 years 'passage de la main d'or', just on the other side of Aligre. Been to the market for 5 years there, and this is still my favourite place in Paris... Can't afford to live there anymore (need more room with a kid).

But then the cheese store I used to go was indeed really great
Wish I had any pics to share... (don't even have any piece of cheese in my fridge... strict diet...)